Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Header Image Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Header Image

Semester Chinese Studies

• The Campus

High quality, customized language learning

I studied Mandarin for three semesters with Silk Road Start at Eurasia University. After studying at another school for a year and a half, I had become very frustrated that the educational environment of this other university was not fitting well with my learning style and goals. So when I heard about this program, I decided to try it out. I can honestly say that Silk Road Start was a God-send!

The teachers are patient and kind but they also have high standards and motivate their students to work hard. They listened to my classmates and me as we talked about our goals and learning styles and worked hard to make sure that their content and teaching style was relevant to our lives. I felt like the classes balanced speaking/listening and writing/reading very well. My classmates and I tended to want to focus more on speaking and listening, but our teachers mentioned that if we wanted to focus more on reading and writing (in order to take the HSK, for example), they could have changed their teaching style to help us out with that more. We had some wonderful discussions with our teachers about various issues during class, and this helped my speaking and listening to progress very quickly! The teachers also assigned meaningful writing assignments and homework assignments that forced us out of our comfort zones and talking with locals about hot topics.

This past year, I have been working in China in an environment where I need to speak, listen, read and write Chinese very often. Silk Road Start definitely prepared me well to be able to work in this context!

As other reviewers have mentioned, Eurasia is a great place to get connected with Chinese students. I met my closest Chinese friends at Eurasia. These students have not only helped me learn Mandarin, but they have invited me into their lives. I have had multiple opportunities to go to their homes, travel with them, invite them to my home, cook with them, etc. I was even the maid of honor at one of these dear friend's weddings this past year! If you do attend Eurasia, I highly advise getting to know these students who are so eager to meet a foreign friend.

I can't speak highly enough of the Silk Road Start program at Eurasia University. If you have an opportunity to try it out, I highly recommend that you do!

Unmatched Mandarin program

After having the opportunity to study Mandarin at several different locations, both in Xi'an, and later in different locations around China, I am impressed by the significantly higher degree of quality Silk Road Start had to offer language learners. I entered the Silk Road Start program at Eurasia about two years into my Chinese learning experience, and the only regret I have is having waited so long to enroll in their program.
The program itself is well organized and managed. All involved staff are friendly, helpful, and truly seek to help the students immerse into the Chinese culture and language at an appropriate pace. The teachers are patient, and clearly concerned with the progress of each student. They are all more than willing to either slow down, or speed up so as to suit the needs of the class. Likewise, the material taught is relevant to those seeking to learn the language well. Another significant benefit I experienced is that the program attracts students who are truly motivated to learn the language, thus adding to the encouraging learning atmosphere.
Eurasia University presents a perfect language learning environment, due to the fact that nearly 100% of the students on campus are Chinese. Many of the students are very anxious to befriend foreign students and "互相学习" (mutually practice Chinese and English).
I enthusiastically support the Silk Road Start program, and would encourage all who seek to learn Mandarin to consider their program. You will not regret your decision!

Year-Long Language School

This program exceeded all expectations I had for it. I was there for its first full year language school (they had done summer school before), and coming in, I was not sure what the overall experience would be. The staff and teachers developed and delivered a program that was helpful, fun, memorable, and relevant. The teachers really pay attention to each of their students and how they learn and incorporate that into their lessons to bring all aspects of language learning directly to the student: relevant vocabulary, grammar, cultural significance, idioms, and even modern slang. Also, their focus is on spoken CHinese, which helps with motivation and enjoyment early on as you can begin to communicate with all the Chinese students and staff on the campus at large.

One big benefit to Silk Road Start is that the campuses they are on are 99% Chinese, i.e. you as a language student have plenty of opportunities to make friends and practice your language (two goals every language learner should have). Other programs have you on a campus with a couple hundred other language learners among other international students and you need to go out of your way to make friends.

Culturally, Xi'an is about the best city in China. A lot of my current classmates at UCI are Chinese, and when I tell them I was in Xi'an, their first response is always referencing the historical and cultural significance of Xi'an. So, while Xi'an still gives you the benefits of a modern city, it retains a very strong link to its cultural heritage.

I wish I could have stayed in that program longer, but lo, life goes on.

Time Well Spent!!!

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to participate in the Silk Road Start program. The Chinese language and culture class I took was not only educational, but fun! I looked forward to learning this complex language everyday, because I was being taught by such a great teacher. He truly cares about each student's progress, and guides and corrects you gently throughout the process. The university was so welcoming, and I really appreciate the hospitality I received. It was truly time well spent!

Astonishing Study Abroad Program!

This experience was one of my favorites of all time! I really enjoyed the program and how it was set up. The program admins really desired for us to know and understand China. It was fantastic to experience the people, the language and the culture. You cant go with this program and come back the same person. In my mind, this is the defining characteristic of a 'must go' exchange program.

Educational adventures in Xi'an

I loved the Silk Road Start program. I loved how the teachers and administrators provided easy access to our classes and helped the American students create friendships with local students through different activities on campus. Our teacher taught us wonderful things about China's history and culture and used helpful teaching techniques such as videos and songs to enhance learning. I enjoyed being able to experience China in an organic way and live day to day life with the students on campus.

Fun, Insightful, One-of-a-Kind Learning Experience at Eurasia

The class was awesome! I looked forward to class every day.

Our teacher was very good. The class was highly interactive. He forced us to speak up and participate, so we actually used the language instead of just looking at words on a blackboard. He was also very encouraging. Whenever I made a mistake or didn't understand something, he never made me feel incompetent. On the contrary, he always helped me feel confident in my ability to comprehend the material.

The content of the class was very practical, including basic everyday words and sentences; in other words things that helped us live in a foreign country. I've been a part of classes where the first things you learn aren't really helpful, but the same can't be said of this program. Everything I learned was useful in an everyday context.

The administration was very helpful and welcoming to us. I felt very valued as a student.

Cultural immersion was great and very helpful for learning the language. We were taught the basics of Chinese history and Shaanxi culture at the beginning of the course, which greatly aided our experience in Xian. We also had the opportunity to interact with many local students. That greatly helped me improve my Chinese. When you are in instances when you have to use the language you're learning, that's when you learn the most!

Silk Road Start really helped me expand my horizons culturally and linguistically. I was able to understand the culture and language in a way I never would have been able to anywhere else.

Learned more than expected!

Silk Road Start is a great program. Our language teacher was amazing. He was super encouraging and really helped me understand the basics of the language. I really feel set up for success for more language learning. I also loved learning about the culture and being immersed in it. It helped me make friends in the country and understand where they were coming from.

Amazing Experience!

My time at EurAsia University was beyond what I had thought it would be. The teachers were very good at teaching foreign students and were helpful in portraying Chinese culture in an understandable light. Our living situation was very good and I was so thankful for all of the accommodations that were available for us. The staff truly went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and to truly give us a Chinese cultural experience. For instance, the staff put together a jaiozi making party for us. This was not at all expected, but it was very much appreciated! This experience was truly an experience of a lifetime that I will never forget!

Quality relationships, quality language learning!

I have truly enjoyed and valued studying Chinese for two years in the Silk Road Start program at Eurasia University! Xi'an is an exceptional city in its importance as a cultural hub of ancient China, as home to over 50 universities and 1 million college students, and as a gateway to western China and Central Asia.

My personal highlights from the SRS program all center on the great opportunities to dive deep into culture through relationships with the excellent teachers and super friendly students on campus. The teachers are dedicated to each student's language process and strive to introduce practical vocabulary and relevant topics. Even after almost two years, I can still walk out of class and immediately use my new vocabulary words, discuss the class topic with student friends, or practice a new grammar structure. I'm sometimes amazed at the level of conversation I am able to have with friends at this point in my study, and there's so much more to learn! After a solid language base is established, class topics are flexible according to your academic goals and interests. The teachers and program coordinator are also committed to helping you adjust to life in China and are willing to provide lots of help in any circumstance. Student trips during holidays are another highlight, providing opportunity to travel to other provinces and appreciate how diverse China is.

Studying on the Xi'an Eurasia campus gives you an insider view of student life and no shortage of new friends to practice speaking with. Other language programs can isolate language learners, but SRS keeps you engaged. A personal awesome moment was being asked to be one of 7 hosts for the Xi'an Eurasia 20th Anniversary Gala. That was an amazing and unexpected experience, and also a great challenge for my language!

The Xi'an scene is lively and locals are very friendly towards foreigners. I always try to pick up helpful phrases in the Shaanxi dialect while ordering one of 500 kinds of delicious local noodles from a street-side shop, or chatting with a taxi driver. Don't forget the ancient capital city tourist sites of the Terra-Cotta Warriors, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Bell Tower, Drum Tower, and the Xi'an City Wall. For the outdoorsy type, the beautiful Qinling Mountains are only a 45 min drive away.

If you are considering learning Mandarin Chinese and want a true experience of China, I highly recommend being a part of the Silk Road Start experience in Xi'an!

Fun in Xi'an!!

I had the privilege of participating in the first two years of the program and I must say that the teachers and staff are doing (and have done) everything they can to make the program a great experience. I could really see the growth of the program over those two years. The language and culture class developed and adapted very well from my first year to the second year. I really don't have any complaints with how that has been set up.

Also, all the staff and teachers are more friendly than any of my professors or faculty from my home university. They are very willing to spend time with their students. Take the time to get lunch with them, play basketball, etc.!

Overall, the experience was one of the best I have ever had. I learned so much about China and Xi'an in those two trips, I would (and do!) highly recommend the trip to all my friends!

PRICELESS

Studying abroad in Xi'An was such an eye-opening experience. Although I am of Chinese descent, being immersed in the culture of China enabled me to understand Chinese culture and lifestyle on a much deeper level. The Silk Road Start program's culture class was invaluable in providing me with a broad overview of Chinese history and what makes Shaanxi special. My language tutor, Li Wei was also very encouraging and helped me a lot in improving my spoken Chinese. She would teach us phrases by going over popular Chinese stories or songs, all of which were very useful in my day-to-day interactions with locals. The administration at Eurasia University was also very welcoming of the international students and made every effort to make us feel at home. They hosted dinners and even taught us how to make dumplings from scratch. The students I met at school were also very friendly and eager to help me better understand their culture and way of life. Overall, I would recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a valuable academic and cultural experience abroad!

A Fun, Full Learning Experience at Xi'An's Eurasia University's Silk Road Start Program

Silk Road Start is an excellent program at Xi'An's Eurasia University for international students to come to one of China's most prestigious private universities in one of China's most ancient and historical cities.

Silk Road Start provides Chinese culture and language classes that are extremely helpful in immersing into the Chinese culture and interacting with the people. For example, the culture class taught us the important of relationships (guan xi) that Chinese people value. The language class taught us useful, everyday phrases and sentences that we could use to engage other Eurasian students.

Silk Road Start also provides plenty of opportunities to explore Xi'An. Xi'An was the capital of China for 13 dynasties, including the Qin dynasty, which had China's first emperor. Several historical locations include: Terracotta Warriors (bing ma yong), Hua mountain, Qing Ling Zoo and Wildlife Park, Wild Goose Pagoda (da yan ta), Bell Tower and Ancient City Wall, Xi'An History Museum, Muslim District (hui min jie), and more. In addition to historical sites, Xi'An is quickly becoming modernized and a center for higher learning, businesses, and entrepreneurs.

Xi'An is one of China's most historic and up-and-coming cities, and Silk Road Start is a program that is perfect for aspiring students to come and immerse themselves in Chinese culture, history, and language.

The teachers were really passionate about helping the students learn. The Chinese language lessons were step-by-step and progressive. I felt my grasp on the language improved dramatically. The culture class was only a week long, but it gave us a broad but detailed look at the rich history of China and left us wanting to know more.

We lived at the on-campus hotel, which was close to the cafeteria and track field. Daily room service was excellent. The staff was always courteous and accommodating. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was very clean and modern. TV and internet were provided. The internet was especially fast.

The faculty welcomed us with open arms. At all times, we felt like we were part of the Eurasia University family. Joseph, the program director, constantly made sure our time at Eurasia University and Xi'An was fun and exciting experience.

Explore Xi'an!

Looking to take a year long trip abroad? Want a place with a deep culture and long history? A city beginning to burst forth as a major economical hub between Asia and Europe? Xi'an has it all, from being China's first capital during much of the dynasties, to the beginning of the famous Silk Road. Xi'an has so much to offer. While you're at it, learn the language at Silk Road Start. Great teachers, students and setting at Eurasia University will give you the great cultural experience you are looking for!

One of the hardest languages to learn in the world and silk road start makes you feel like you can actually learn the language.

Needs to establish a semester syllabus with goals to obtain. I have heard this will be done this up coming semester.

Eurasia

The school is one of most beautiful school i have been to. The international program is a such a joy because of how open the students are. While being over here make sure to make friends as soon as possible because that will be your ticket on getting food and especially getting to know the culture. I have been falling in love with the campus and the city when i got here, and i planned to come back next year for there summer program.

Lee Way is a GREAT TEACHER.