Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Header Image Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Header Image

Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs

Verified

Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Programs

China

Semester Chinese Studies

Silk Road Start Global Study Programs offers quality Chinese study programs in China's historical capital city, Xi'an, for groups and individuals. The semester program...

Save Program

China

Short Term Group Chinese Studies

Take part in short-term group Chinese studies organised by Silk Road Start. The programs are offered to more than 100 students on 3 University campuses in Xi’an’s Southern...

Save Program

Silk Road Start: Global Study Programs Reviews

• The Campus

High quality, customized language learning

I studied Mandarin for three semesters with Silk Road Start at Eurasia University. After studying at another school for a year and a half, I had become very frustrated that the educational environment of this other university was not fitting well with my learning style and goals. So when I heard about this program, I decided to try it out. I can honestly say that Silk Road Start was a God-send!

The teachers are patient and kind but they also have high standards and motivate their students to work hard. They listened to my classmates and me as we talked about our goals and learning styles and worked hard to make sure that their content and teaching style was relevant to our lives. I felt like the classes balanced speaking/listening and writing/reading very well. My classmates and I tended to want to focus more on speaking and listening, but our teachers mentioned that if we wanted to focus more on reading and writing (in order to take the HSK, for example), they could have changed their teaching style to help us out with that more. We had some wonderful discussions with our teachers about various issues during class, and this helped my speaking and listening to progress very quickly! The teachers also assigned meaningful writing assignments and homework assignments that forced us out of our comfort zones and talking with locals about hot topics.

This past year, I have been working in China in an environment where I need to speak, listen, read and write Chinese very often. Silk Road Start definitely prepared me well to be able to work in this context!

As other reviewers have mentioned, Eurasia is a great place to get connected with Chinese students. I met my closest Chinese friends at Eurasia. These students have not only helped me learn Mandarin, but they have invited me into their lives. I have had multiple opportunities to go to their homes, travel with them, invite them to my home, cook with them, etc. I was even the maid of honor at one of these dear friend's weddings this past year! If you do attend Eurasia, I highly advise getting to know these students who are so eager to meet a foreign friend.

I can't speak highly enough of the Silk Road Start program at Eurasia University. If you have an opportunity to try it out, I highly recommend that you do!

Program: Semester Chinese Studies

9 / 10

Short term summer 2016

The program was excellent! Our instructors were incredibly kind, helped us anytime we needed it (even outside of class), and taught us very well. Our group learned so much about the culture and the language during our time at Eurasia!

Excellent experience

My short-term study experience through Silk Road Start was excellent. Our language teacher did a great job of teaching us about both the culture and language of China, and we were able to learn more by being on campus with thousands of friendly Chinese students. Everyone in the program was very welcoming and helpful, and the university students were as well. Although I was only there for a short time, I was able to learn a lot about the culture and see that it is possible to learn Chinese.

8 / 10

Faithful experience

If I could describe my time in Xi'an it would be that the father is faithful. The hardest part was just meeting people who knew good enough English. Throughout the weeks, He was faithful throughout the good and the bad. It was really cool to see that the father was still a work and still working. I loved getting to know the students on the campus and just building relationships with them.

Silk Road Start program

We couldn't have asked for a better experience! The class time was so valuable & helpful in gaining insights into the culture and language. I feel like I personally walked away with a much better understanding of Chinese history, culture, etc. The language we learned was really helpful as well! We had extraordinary teachers who were very kind and helpful. By the end of the two weeks we could successfully introduce ourselves, have a basic conversation and even purchase items at a market - all in Chinese. The instructional methods were conducive to learning and also fun. This greatly aided us in being able to interact with locals and acclimate to the culture. We loved it and hope to return someday! The housing arrangements/ accommodations were very nice. The only downside was not having quick access to a washing machine, but we made due just fine.

Show more reviews