OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

Download Application Form

Location

Italy: Siena

Description

Participants are immersed in Italian Language and culture during semester, academic year and summer programs. Courses include: Anthropology, Art History, Cinema, Medieval History, Sociolinguistics, History of Italian Cooking, Business, Creative Arts. Students live with local host families while making a difference in the local community through Service-Learning Opportunities. Students also participate in a series of activities and excursions during the semester or summer term. Some of these include: cooking classes, grape harvest, hikes in the countryside, museum visits, day trip to Florence, overnight excursion to the Alps, Tuscan coast, or other destinations of interest.

Highlights

The SIS experience allows students to be truly involved in the local community, to learn Italian through the FICCS language teaching method (unique to SIS), as well as participate in a series of unique activities and excursions alongside local Italian students and community members.

9 Overall Experience

Highly recommended

My most memorable experiences involved the festivities surrounding the Palio. Seeing contrada life up close is something that not many outsiders have the opportunity to do, so I felt very lucky to be able to go to contrada dinners and parties, etc.

I chose this program because I didn't have time for a full semester, and Siena Italian Studies was highly recommended for me by my advisers at Ohio State.

I lived with a host family outside the city of Siena. I had a roommate and two host parents. I felt very comfortable in the apartment that I lived in.