Show Me Madrid Header Image Show Me Madrid Header Image

Faculty-Led Study Abroad Course

• Teacher Support

I enjoyed meeting different people

The classes we too at LAE Madrid School the staff is really helpful. I enjoyed meeting different people.

Going to the stadiums was a great experience. Studying about the monuments and being able to attend to museums was really fun. I enjoyed everything its hard to choose. It would've been nice to stay longer at the market especially the one in Barcelona, it would've been awesome. Houston doesn't have a market like that and i feel we didn't get to enjoy their foods.

I enjoyed the paella workshop. It was a great experience because we learned how to cook spaniard dishes. Im able to go back home and teach my family how to cook Spaniard food. What I dislike about this experience was the walking, it was a really hot day but overall it was one of my favorite places.

• Teacher Support

Overall I had a great experience

I can't pick one favorite activity, but there are a few that I really enjoyed. I liked going to Retiro Park, I thought the park was very pretty and riding around in the boats was fun. I liked the City Hall, because I loved going to the top of the building and looking over the big city and taking pictures. I liked the Spanish Royal Palace, because the building was beautiful inside and out and being able to see some of the royal rooms inside was amazing. I also enjoyed taking pictures and having fun outside of the place with everyone. I enjoyed Campo Park, I loved going on the cable carts with my friends and looking out into the city. I also loved how afterwards we got to go swimming and we got to celebrate Fourth of July with hot dogs and hamburgers. I thought the Sagrada Familia was so amazing to see in person, but I thought the tour guide was kinda boring. I really liked going to the The Real Madrid stadium, and the Barcelona FC Stadium. Although I am not huge huge soccer fan, I thought it was cool being inside the world famous stadiums and being able to see the teams history and tour the whole stadium. I did not care for the El prado art museum. It wasn't because the museum was bad, I'm just not into art so I got bored easily. My least favorite activity was the Casa America. The museum was very small, and didn't have much to look at. What we did look at was very strange and I didn't like it or understand it. I thought it was a waste of our day and we could have gone somewhere else were we would have enjoyed it more.

My favorite workshop was the Paella one, because it was the most hands on workshop. I learned how to make the most popular Spanish foods and I liked how we got to taste everything we made afterwards. The only thing I didn't like about that workshop was how long it took us to get there and how it was so hot inside. My second favorite was the flamenco. I liked learning the history of where flamenco came from and I also enjoyed being able to watch the members of the studio perform for us. I wish we would have been able to dance more and learn flamenco dances rather than just watch them show us. I enjoyed the guitar workshop, I thought it was cool that the owner of the shop let us in to see how he makes the guitars. The mosto tasting workshop was interesting, I liked learning about wine and how it's made and the different types. Although I thought the juice tasted good, I wish we actually got to taste wine.

My favorite part of the program was when we went to La Barceloneta. Being at the beach was so much fun and relaxing. I loved being able to float in the sea and lay in the sand to relax my body. I also really liked when we went to Segovia. I liked being able to leave Madrid for a day and explore a different city. I thought the aqueduct and the cathedral were beautiful and overall the city of Segovia was nice and i'm glad we went there. I also liked how we got free time in the evening. I thought it was awesome that we got so much freedom to do what we wanted to do in both cities. I loved exploring the different restaurants, shopping, and the nightlife.

Overall I had a great experience. I thought the program was very organized and planned out well. I liked not having to worry about what I needed to do regarding school, the daily activities, and lunch. I just needed to show up and everything was all ready to go. I loved the Show Me Madrid staff, they were all very knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, caring, and I knew they had our best interest and wanted us to enjoy every moment of our trip. I don't have too much to complain about because I choose to enjoy and appreciate the time I had in Spain.

Amazing

My favourite part of the program was meeting new people. While with among the artisan workshop my favorite one was the flamenco. I loved how we were interacting the whole time with Gloria. My least favorite was the paella I did not learn much and it was too hurried. Among the daily activities, I loved the Sagrada Familia Cathedral the best. Everything we got to see was amazing I don't have a least favorite.

• Teacher Support

I really enjoyed all the activities

I LOVED Barceloneta. I did not care for Casa America. Everything else was very interesting and I really enjoyed all the activities.

My favorite was the paella workshop among the artisan workshops although I wish there was air condition because the heat was uncomfortable. I enjoyed the flamenco show, but I was under the impression that we would be taught lessons so I kind of wished that we learned how to dance individually. Also, the Mosto wasn't as interesting because I would have rather learned about wine. I enjoyed the guitar shop but since it was so small, I think it would have been better if the group was smaller so it would have been more personal.

My favorite part about the whole program was the group we were with because it really made me feel at home. The Show Me Madrid staff also made a huge difference in my experience. Mario and Elsa went above and beyond to make our experience amazing, without them I definitely wouldn't have felt so involved and gained such a personal experience. I also really enjoyed the school we went to, my teacher Isa was so awesome and I felt like I actually learned a lot. Activity wise, my favorite was the beach and besides that I really enjoyed going on the boats at Retiro Park as well as the pool day for 4th of July.

Overall, I had the time of my life here in Spain and I only have Mario to thank for that. He planned out the perfect trip to learn and try new things. I honestly just wish he did the same program for different countries so that I could experience more of the world with the same program.

• Teacher Support

I got to meet new amazing people

I Liked the Guitar workshop because i love the guitar music but the paella loved it because i learned to cook!
The best of the daily activities were the Stadium but I loved the Segovia Alcázar I learned so much history such the roman empire the culture of the Spaniards
My favorite is that I got to meet new amazing people that i never thought i would ever hang out back at home and the important is that i made new good friendship!

It was fun

I really like how many of the excursions, tours, etc were in English. I am more engaged and learn more that way. When they are in Spanish I start to zone out and not pay attention because I can't stay focused for several hours like that. Having a day where we could sleep in would be nice. The surprise on the 4th was really nice. Thank you for that. Maybe having the calendar available to download into my phone calendar would be nice. The bus/metro pass was a great idea.

The Spanish classes were amazing. The professors there are really nice. Seeing the Familia Sagrada Cathedral was awesome. It's something I wanted to see since I was a child. Having everything organized was great. Made things easier to plan with what little free time we had.

The guitar workshop was amazing. Learning about what he does, how the guitars are made, and just seeing his passion was quit moving. The flamenco was cool, I just wish we got to learn how to dance. Not just watch it. The paella class was fun. Learning how to make it, and how easy it was is neat. I plan on making it back at in the states when I get home. Mosto class could have been better. She seemed kind of dry and boring when she was talking. Also wish it could have been real wine.

Touring the stadiums was really fun. Seeing the inside of the stadium and taking pictures was awesome. I think my favorite museum was museo de prado. Seeing the statues from 2000+ years ago was awesome. Wish we could have spent more time there.

The freedom to explore

The best part for me was the freedom to explore. Although there were many who used this privilege somewhat abusively, because of my desire to learn and meet people who could tell me more about Spain I learned that these people are practically addicted to loving others and unlike I have believed for so long that they don't hate Americans but instead actually desire to know more about us as much as we do them. I could not have accomplished this grand discovery with travel restrictions.

Some things that I learned during my stay was; that you can absorb more emotion from a smaller/ more homey spot than the biggest theatre there is and that Spain loves to build ENORMOUS buildings, I personally have a fairly impossible goal in life, but thanks to all the impossibly big buildings I have seen here in Spain I have learned that if you convince people something is important and have the vision for something amazing then you can accomplish ANYTHING.

The worst part was that One Cathedral would of sufficed, especially if it was just the last one in Barcelona, why? I enjoyed them all personally, but typical Americans are easily underwhelmed and the last place was ruined for me strictly because of everyone's lack of enthusiasm.

The thing I would highly recommend is pulling off the same order of amazement next year. Everyday overwhelmed more than the day before, keeping the adrenaline flowing. I feel like had this exact phenomenon had not been accomplished I would of enjoyed certain places less than I did. For example, not that it could of been helped because of travel arrangements, but I was incredibly unimpressed with FCB's Stadium because of how much better the experience at the Real Madrid Stadium was, you could touch more, there was less people, and everything was cheaper. It made a Real Madrid fan out of me which will upset my friends back home.

• Teacher Support

Overall I thought this was an amazing opportunity

My favorite part of the program... that is such a hard question because there were so many great things.
First of all the staff is incredible, Mario made me feel completely safe and secure the entire trip. He is amazing with words and can make anything happen for the group with out ever sounding negative. He is the king of killing with kindness. He was so quick to be there for anyone anytime for just about anything, if he heard someone was not feeling well he was on, if someone was mistreated by a local in some way, he was on top of it. He kept the moral of the program high whenever he was near. Secondly Elsa, she is an absolute blessing to have in this program. She was great and taking care of business and doing her job while at the same time not taking life too seriously, she knew how to bring joy to everyone that the spoke to.She brought the group together and never left anyone out. She was so informed on the city and history of Madrid that she was always sharing bonus information with us. She will be a friend of mine for a life time and more.
Secondly, I loved the daily activities. The line up from day to day was amazing, every time I would start to think to myself "I'm sleepy this is probably going to be so boring or long" I was wrong. Every single day we had fun, laughed, took a million photos and grew together as familia.

I really enjoyed the trip to the Prada museum, that was my favorite. As an ancient history major I was thrilled to have the chance to freely explore the museum and take my time when and where I pleased. It is my personal belief, that museums are best enjoyed individually so that no one is waiting on another or feeling rushed to move on. I thought all of the daily activities were very fun and educational.The walking was a bit much for some people in the group but i actually quite enjoyed it, even if it was exhausting. My least favorite activity was the Royal Palace, it was amazing to see and learn but the tour guide was horrible. She was extremely boring and made it difficult to enjoy the things each individual student was interested in observing in any given room because she kept telling everyone to look at whatever she was talking about the whole time. i understand that their tour guide does not represent Show Me Madrid, I just think next time maybe make a request for a more energetic and humorous Tour guide if you want to keep the group interested. We had an awesome time taking pictures in the courtyard after though!

My favorite workshop was by far the guitar. it was very interesting and the owner was so very kind and passionate about what he does. The flamenco workshop was also very interesting and i enjoyed the show. however i was one of many who were under the impression that it would be more of a class rather than a show, we came expecting to dance. We were excited to dance...we were a bit disappointed when it was done and there had not been much dancing on our part. The paella workshop was very interesting and I did have fun however it was so unbelievably hot the entire time. I honestly thought that I might pass out at one point. All of the cooking and cleaning made us extra hot in an already very, very hot building. Being so hot made it very difficult to eat and enjoy what we had made. If anything, at least have the dining room cooled ahead of time so that after the labor people can cool off and enjoy the meal.

Overall I thought this was an amazing opportunity and I am so happy that I was able to seize it. The activities, the culture, the staff, and the school in Madrid, were all so wonderful. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in study abroad or just anyone who want to travel and experience something new with an amazing group of people.

The staff of Show Me Madrid went above and beyond

My favorite part was the spanish classes. Next would have to be the visit to the sagrada familia basilica. The staff of Show Me Madrid went above and beyond in attending to our trip and making sure that everyone had whatever they needed at any hour of the day. They also opened up to us more like friends than a typical tour guide. It is evident that they love to do what they do and that makes them the best.

But I am not a huge sports fan, and while I realize they are important for modern culture, i feel that they should be optional compared to the historical venues.

I would have liked to learn a little bit of flamenco and not just watch it be performed, or at least watch it in a place with a breeze or air conditioning

I liked it

I liked going to museums like Sagrada ,Familia and, I learned the history of places. Flamenco was my favorite activity because I learned new dances.

• Teacher Support

Loved the trip and loved you guys!!!!

Loved the trip and loved you guys!!!!
The people, the closeness, experiencing the culture, everything really I loved them all. I learned how much math went into guitar making.

The El Prado o Sagrada Familia was the best while the 2nd stadium was worst among the daily activities.

This trip was amazing

My favorite part of the program was being in another country with strangers who soon became great friends & being able to experience a new culture alongside them.

I truly enjoyed the Guitar Workshop & Flamenco Wkshp because of my deep connection with my love of music & dance. Both times the hosts made us feel extremely welcomed & indulged us in their passions. i very much enjoyed the Paella workshop as well, because it was a great hands-on way of bringing the group together & also a great opportunity to enjoy making & eating delicious dishes native to Spain.

I enjoyed La Sagrada Familia best because of what I learned about Gaudi & his deep passion for sharing his beliefs thorough his work & his determination and perseverance in creating such a unique building. I can't think of daily activity that I didn't enjoy. I honestly enjoyed the history of the cities we visited.

This trip was amazing. I cannot complain about it because it's still a work in progress. I had an amazing time and although some improvements could be made the Show Me Madrid staff did their absolute best making us feel at home here in another country. I'd recommend it to anyone.

LOVED the roman columns

I enjoyed the variety of activities. Felt you did a good job with the time you had to try and let us experience as much as possible. Loved, let me emphasize, LOVED the Roman Columns - just speechless. Loved the Prado. Appreciated the opportunities to photograph architecture. Glad we had such a knowledgeable guide in Barcelona, very learned man.

Guitar shop was quaint and interesting, especially since it was not "tourist oriented". Flamenco was disappointing, needed to push chairs back and have her give beginner lessons. I know she does that there, so, it would have been better to have people participate. Paella was interesting, however, the intense heat of the kitchen and dining area made it almost sickening. That heat, combined with the walk, created an exhausting day.

Proximity to Plaza Mayor was paramount to great success for me personally. Activities were perfectly selected. Prado: Needed much more time here.

Appreciate your sacrifices to make our trip successful.

• Teacher Support

I learned to appreciate the history and architecture of a beautiful country.

Professor Hernandez is an amazing teacher and person. If he was not the professor with this program, I would have not come to Spain. I feel very fortunate to have meet him and be taught by him.

I enjoyed the museums and anything that had to do with Spain's history. My favorite workshop was the cooking. I enjoyed learning how to cook unfamiliar dish and learning to enjoy them.

Segovia was the best among the daily activities. Stadium was my least favorite, but it was just because I do not know much about the sport. I learned to appreciate the history and architecture of a beautiful country.