1-2 weeks, 2-4 weeks, 5-8 weeks, 9-12 weeks, 3-6 months (includes high school academic semester abroad), 7-12 months (includes high school academic year abroad), 1-2 years, over 2 years
Senegal Style African Drum and Percussion School is an all inclusive program that incorporates professional instruction (in English or French) in African Dance, Djembe, Bougarabou, Djun Djun.
* Intensive drum workshop, 4hrs a day 5x a week. Practice drumming on the beach (or just hang out) in the morning, and your private lesson drum class (all levels) is from 3pm-5pm every afternoon, Monday thru Friday at the Centre Culture Derkle (a very large neighborhood cultural center in regular Senegalese neighborhood. Dance class is in the mornings from 11-2pm and practice with the band is 5:30 to 7:30pm.
* Our Senegal Style Band, Africa DjembeFola, practices with Full Ballet, (African dancers!) Monday thru Thursday from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. You will practice first and then play with our band as well, every day, and go on gigs with Ibrahima Sene (google his name and background with Senegal Style Djembes) on the weekends.
This is a sweet deal if you are interested in African culture dance and drumming!
SenegalStyle Djembes is a woman owned professional drum company started in Dakar, Senegal in 2001 with an elite group of traditional African drummaker/artists and craftsmen.
We have a long professional track record, with hundreds of positive customer reviews both on our website and eBay and would like to pass along our traditions, theories and drummaking techniques to you. The cost of our skills based program you will find to be less expensive than a weekend drum camp in the US or the UK! Our programs are tailored to you and your schedule and while here, we can arrange (budget priced) tours to other regions of Senegal on the weekends (if the band is not gigging!) so you can study and see the local sites with our professional tour guides.
Senegal Style African Drum, Dance and Percussion School is looking for students, both male and female, who truly want to learn the 'Art of the Drum' - and we believe that the best way to do that is from the bottom up. Go to the source, West Africa, and then go into the lives of the people that make the drums. Senegal Style Djembes is a traditional African drum manufacturer as well as a hub of West African Music/Art/Cultural activity!
Our drum school is economy priced for shrinking student budgets and includes clean comfortable room accommodation, free wifi (so bring your laptops!), laundry service, and two full meals a day! Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free Diets? No Problem!
The qualifications necessary to attend this school are simple:
* If you have always wanted to learn to play West African musical instruments properly with the proper rhythms and in their proper contexts.
* If you are already playing African djembe, been to a few camps but want to refine your technique and playing skills.
* If you would like learn how to 'Read The Dancers' and other musicians in your group and anticipate their moves in a real African ballet setting.
* If you are an instructor, Music Teacher or Drum Circle Facilitator, and need to learn different types of teaching techniques, want to learn to play more instruments, and work in a group of local musicians who have worked and played together for over 9 years.
* If you would like to not only refine your African Djembe technique but also learn to play other instruments in a Series, as taught here at Senegal, (not individually as in the US and UK) such as Bougarabou and Djun Djuns, and other West African instruments like the Balafone or Kora.
* And if you realize that to truly understand all the techniques above, you have to learn what goes into making an Authentic Senegal Style African Djembe. We have manufactured by hand, in the traditional African Fashion, literally hundreds of African Djembes, Djun Djuns, Bougarabous & Sabaar Drums one drum at a time, with our crew of Senegal Style Musicians and shipped them all over the world.
You have the unique opportunity to study with craftsmen who are at the top of their field, Senegal Style Djembes is an internationally known drum company and our crew will teach you everything they know so that you can help us preserve and pass on the best of our SenegalStyle traditions and techniques and keep the 'Art of the Drum' alive.
Senegal Style African Drum, Dance and Percussion School highlights:
* Learn to play West African musical instruments, the rhythms, and the songs of the people
* Meet and work with some of the best musicians from the entire West African rhythm spectrum
* An opportunity to make your own professional djembe under the supervision of our Master Drummaker, Ibou Sene
* SenegalStyle Djembes is an Internationally known and respected drum company
* Learn to speak the local language (Wolof) while working and 'hanging out' with the drum guys!
* Watch and learn the traditional sculpting & carving techniques used here at Senegal Style Djembes
* Apprentice with Master Sculptor & painter grand TIJ, and watch him put the 'Style' in Senegal Style!
* Personal one on one instruction with Master Percussionist Ibou Sene 5x a week, 4 hours a day, from 3-5pm and then 5:30 to 7:30pm
* Rehearse with our band, Africa Djembe FOLA ballet along with the singers & dancers 5:30pm to 7:30pm
* Accompany your Master Percussionist instructor, Ibou Sene to gigs and play with the band when you're ready!
1500 EURO (subject to exchange rate fluctuations)
3 month Payment Plans Available - Don't be Shy! We can work it out!
* Homestay Guesthouse Accommodation with tri-lingual English/French/Wolof speaking family at Top Rated SenegalStyle Bed & Breakfast
* Wholesome Restaurant Quality Food - including 2 meals, w/full breakfast and dinner, every day. Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free or other specialized diet? No Problem!
* Clean Comfortable Rooms - bug free environment to relax and wind down after a hard day!
* Free Internet Access - WiFi
* International Satellite TV with BET, ESPN, CNN, Aljazeera, BBC, etc.
* Safe, Well Situated Community - near the airport, beaches and all major roads for easy public transport
* Budget Priced EcoTourism Packages to various regions outside of Dakar
* Bilingual Tour Guides available for solo travelers (English, French, Spanish)
* Low priced Laundry Service
* Airport Pickup Service
We believe that helping the working poor, the students, parents of the children, and directing their efforts to lifting themselves out of poverty rather than waiting on charity, will do more good towards the long term eradication of poverty.