Semester at Sea ship Semester at Sea ship

Semester at Sea - Fall/Spring Voyage: Japan

Incredible social, cultural, and academic experience

I've never felt so connected to my classmates (well, shipmates) and seen my textbooks principles come to life as I did on semester at sea. These have been the best four months of my life, and the girls I've met here will be lifelong friends. Traveling to 12 different countries was also very fun and eye-opening, but I'm tempted to say that the time on the ship was even better. I cannot recommend this program enough!

The Experience of a Lifetime...x10

Semester at Sea is a unique program that allows you to circumnavigate the globe with thorough cultural experience. Living on a ship for 3 months, visiting 10 cities, and taking classes while at sea could easily become a logistical nightmare, but Semester at Sea has it down. It's a beautiful opportunity to create your own experience. They have planned trips for those who prefer the structure and safety of a group trip, but plenty of students opt to plan their own trips or not plan at all and just go play in a country for 5 days. Semester at Sea does a great job of preparing you for each country so you really can create the experience of a lifetime in each city.

Most amazing months of my life.

Could not approve it more. I have dreamed of going back over and over. You will come home with wanderlust and a need to travel the world more. A little pricey to do twice but it would be worth every penny. Academics are pretty easy. The people are often times well-off so if you're pinching pennies like I was it can catch you off guard at first.

Circumnavigating the globe

My experience participating in Semester at Sea left a profound impact on my global perspectives and perceptions of the world. Traveling to 12 different countries over the time span of four months was an extremely rewarding, powerful and influential experience. Not only did I get the opportunity to travel to so many amazing countries, but I also got to sail on three different oceans in order to get to them. Before I left for Semester at Sea these countries had always seemed so out of reach, but SAS taught me that people can go anywhere if they work hard and have the motivation to make it happen. Traveling now feels much more tangible and I have gained the skills and knowledge I need to participate in responsible tourism. I learned how to travel intelligently, how to have cultural sensitivity and how to immerse myself in each culture for the amount of time that I had in each port.

Studying on the ship while sailing was amazing and gave us the time to travel while in country. Not only does SAS offer classes that contribute to all majors, but they also teach valuable information about the countries in which they port and how to travel in a responsible and life-changing way. I traveled independently, but SAS offers field programs for those who like a guided tour or a planned itinerary. It was amazing to further my understanding of the world by studying foreign places in the classroom and then porting in those foreign places over the next few months. I am so thankful for the experiences I had both in and outside of the classroom with SAS. Not only do you form amazing relationships with the other students, but you also form relationships with the professors, staff and crew. Living on the ship and being able to travel with the people from such a strong community makes for an even more powerful experience as you circumnavigate the globe. Having the opportunity to visit so many places allowed me to gain travel experience so that I can return abroad in the future and I am so thankful to have participated in Semester at Sea.