Selang Pangeran Volunteers - North Sumatra Header Image Selang Pangeran Volunteers - North Sumatra Header Image

Volunteer to Teach English in North Sumatra

• The Adventure

Culture and jungles

Selang Pangeran Volunteers do an amazing job to help the children in this remote jungle village in North Sumatra. It is 100% volunteer run by local people with the assistance of volunteers from abroad. I loved the fact that 100% of the funds goes to the local school house and community yo help run this volunteer english school.
The children were so enthusiastic and keen to learn. They come here to learn English after their normal school day has finished. The people are so friendly.
The accommodation is basic dormitory share accommodation and there is no electricity here at the moment but this wasn't a problem. I loved dining by candlelight every night just like the locals do. You can also get a local sim card to get some Internet coverage.
On weekends you can arrange with the local guides to explore the jungle waterfalls and rivers. I saw so much wildlife - orangutans, monkeys, gibbons, butterflies, and more . As well as relaxing and tubing in the rivers. Activities cost extra but are very affordable. I loved the time I spent here. I have so many happy memories. It has changed my life forever.

Beautiful children in remote community

I just loved volunteering at Selang Pangeran English School. The children were beautiful and so willing to learn. The place is relaxing, set on a river next to the jungle and the local people were so friendly and welcoming. The share accommodation is a basic but clean and the food was wholesome traditional indonesian food with much delicious tropical fruit.
I loved this place and can't wait to go back to help teach the children English.

A rewarding push outside the comfort zone

I spent three weeks early this year teaching English to the local children in this remote area of North Sumatra. I had not undertaken much volunteering prior and so I was a little nervous, but everyone was so kind and the kids were so grateful for any help, making it a lot easier. I stayed in the guest house across the river from the school, which was basic but clean and had everything I needed.
The English school ran 2-4pm Mondays to Saturday, allowing lots of free time for relaxing by the river, jungle walks, or lesson planning. The end of the lesson was always the most fun as the students, myself, and any other volunteers would go swimming and jumping in the river. That was definitely not an experience I could have back home in an Australian school.
For the majority of my stay I was the sole volunteer, and there was little guidance from Jungle Edie, who organises the volunteering, or anyone else from the local villages, so I had almost complete control over the school and the content to teach. Some planning was necessary as school resources are limited, and some understanding of Bahasa Indonesia would also be highly useful, but it is not absolutely required.
I was so saddened to say goodbye at the end of my stay, as the kids were so sweet and seemed genuinely sad, and I'd had such a great time there. In helping the school and the students I learned so much myself, developing as a person and as a teacher. I would love to do this again.