SEEDS, Volunteer in Iceland - Environmental & Cultural Projects
Iceland: Borgarnes, Husavik, Isafjordur and 3 other cities
1-2 Week, 2-4 Week
All year round
* We would like volunteers applying for our projects to be motivated to work with international groups on mostly conservation and cultural related projects.
* Enthusiasm and interest for engaging people, and working in teams is essential for volunteering.
* Particular interest in environmental issues as in sustainability might be very useful when developing the activities for the groups.
The work involved in each project:
* Might be physically demanding and a reasonable level of physical fitness and health is required.
* Can be intensive and very demanding so patience is required.
* Includes a lot of outdoor activities. As weather conditions in Iceland are variable and often cold, we recommend that volunteers bring warm, waterproof clothes, comfortable work clothing, and sturdy walking/hiking shoes/boots.
Cost in US$:
USD 150 - 400 (EUR 120 - 300)
- Registration fees
- Written materials pre-departure
Program Fees Include:
The participation fee paid to SEEDS Iceland covers administrative work, full board and lodging for the duration of the project and some free time activities organized for volunteers. Usually in our projects we also include an "Environmental Messenger", who is in charge of developing environmental awareness in the projects, depending on the interest of the volunteers.
- Biological Research
- Building & Construction Projects
- Conflict Resolution
- Economic Development
- Grassroots Organization
- Historic Preservation
- Human Rights
- Organic Farming
- Social Work
- Trail Building
- Tree Planting
Volunteers taking part in SEEDS projects are mostly between the ages of 18 and 30. These volunteers are willing to have an enriching intercultural experience with the other participants and the Icelanders. Many of our participants want to visit Iceland and get to know the country from a different perspective, interacting with locals and at the same time dedicating some of their time to support particular projects and addressing specific needs of the hosts. While mingling with Icelanders, volunteers want to learn about the local culture and have the opportunity to build friendships; additionally, they develop new skills working under unfamiliar surroundings.
18+. No upper age limit
This Program is open to
Worldwide Participants. This Program is also open to Families, Couples and Individuals.
Typical Living Arrangements
- Group living
Typically Participants Work
in Groups of 8 to 20
Application Process Involves
- Written Application
Typically The Application Process Time is
5 working days