SEED Madagascar Header Image SEED Madagascar Header Image

Lemur Research and Conservation Program

Definitely worthwile

Choosing to go with Seed Madagascar was the right choice as so much effort is taken to ensure that the community and wildlife is positively affected by their work. Local guides were very friendly, spoke good English and could spot wildlife from a mile away- including from a moving car! Activities included surveying frogs on a night walk, measuring lobsters at the beach and replanting endangered trees, and there was plenty of time to take photos and take in the beautiful landscape of Sainte Luce. Camping is definitely not an issue, especially when brown lemurs visit the campsite and you are always 2 minutes away from the forest where there are chameleons, geckos and mouse lemurs! It's definitely a worthwhile experience, and I wished I had organised to spend more time travelling around Madagascar.

I wish I'd gone for longer

You stay on the edge of St Luce, a small village in the rural SE of Madagascar. Tents are centered on a wooden long-house where meals are eaten and the hanging-out is done between trips in to the forest.

These forest trips range from half-hour bird surveys to a couple of hours following lemurs or conducting Herp surveys - all very informative and good fun. All in the most amazing forest surroundings with the ever-present chance of seeing something incredible.

All of the Azadafy staff, whether domestic or international, were very friendly and the organisation's relationship with the local community in St Luce make for a uniquely integrated experience.

The Azafady literature makes the food in the bush seem intimidating but it's actually fantastic, the cooks do a great job.

All-told, my only regret is that I didn't stay for longer. Although I highly recommend that you also leave time to travel the country after your volunteering is over. The guys in camp will give you some great advice.

Travel to Madagascar With Azafady!

As a seasoned field biologist that was looking to visit Madagascar and give back to the community, this trip was perfect for me. Azafady was suggested to me by a past volunteer I know, and it lived up to its reputation. The administrative staff answered my numerous questions before my departure, and I was picked up at the airport in Tana after midnight. The field setup is basic - latrines, bucket showers, a communal longhouse. The food is also basic- lots of rice and a variety of amazing beans that I have never seen before or since. The forests of St. Luce are INCREDIBLE- I saw more endemic species than I can count. Species that I still have trouble believing actually exist. If you are interested in nature and like camping and hiking (which is never too strenuous), this trip is made for you. The staff is caring, kind, genuine and their dedication is to be commended.

Azafady Conservation Programme - Experience of a Lifetime!

My 4 weeks with the Azafady Conservation Programme were just amazing! The research into the wildlife of Ste. Luce was fascinating and will hopefully help protect the amazing endemic species found there in the future. Watching lemur behaviour and finding chameleons and geckos by night will definitely stay with me for the rest of my life! The programme also allowed me to interact with the local community by teaching the children about the forest and English lessons. So much fun and the community is so wonderful, always smiling and laughing! That is definitely one of the reasons I find Azafady fantastic, as they combine conservation and community work. I would definitely recommend Azafady to anybody wanting an experience of a lifetime!!!

An Unforgettable Summer

I spent July and August of 2013 volunteering with Azafady's Conservation Program, and I can honestly say that everyday I spent there was absolutely incredible. We were able to work hands on in conducting research on biodiversity and conservation and despite any challenges that could come our way, Azafady was always there to support and care for its volunteers before, during, and after our time in Madagascar. As a small NGO, it was so impressive to see how much work is being done in the region where Azafady operates, and how much of an impact this work has made on the lives of the local people and the environment. I have volunteered abroad with organizations in the past, but none have made such an impact as Azafady has on my life. I would HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone, it is a dream for anyone interested in conservation of one of the world's most diverse ecosystems!