Seamester Study Abroad at Sea Seamester Study Abroad at Sea

Seamester: Transatlantic Summer- 40/50 days

• The Adventure

Life changing experience

Going on my Seamester journey is to date one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I made an amazing group of friends, who I am still in contact with. I got to sail across the Atlantic Ocean, which has been a dream of mine ever since I was little. I came onto this voyage, excited but not really knowing what to expect, I came out of it with a better understanding and new sense of the world. The trip was phenomenal and I am 100% glad I did it.
The smell of the fresh ocean air mixed with the sight of nothing but ocean for miles in any direction is incredible, but also very hard to describe to people who have not experienced it.

We started out in the BVIs with stops along the way to eventually get to our final destination of France. Along the way, we were doing everything on board. We took turns helming, going on watch, cooking our meals, cleaning up and more. You were a full member of the crew, and had the responsibilities as such. On top of that, we were also taking an oceanography class, which you may be able to get college credit for. It sounds like a lot, but it is completely manageable and you will never be bored.

This was an experience that I will never forget and I hope you get the opportunity to as experience it as well.

Compact and Beautiful

I absolutely loved my Sea|Mester experience for two primary reasons: firstly, it gave me the opportunity to develop my knowledge of the ocean and sailing, as intended; secondly, Sea|Mester helped foster a sense of responsibility and self-confidence I hadn't even known I possessed. I found myself cleaning bathrooms on shore after I returned home. The confined quarters of the ship allowed my to bond further with my fellow students, people the likes of which I most probably never would have encountered elsewhere, than years upon years of traditional schooling. I came back from the sea much more satisfied with myself than when I left. Parts of the voyage are difficult, I'll admit. There are, naturally, quite a few challenges, both mental and physical, of living aboard a moving vessel of limited size. But it's all worth it: the boat allows everyone to shine. I can't recommend Sea|Mester highly enough, and I can't wait to get back out to sea.

50-Day Atlantic Crossing

This program was both an excellent learning opportunity and a life-changing experience. I was able to learn seamanship and nautical science under experienced sailors while living at sea. I saw places few ever visit and from a perspective unlike that of a typical student abroad, and I immersed myself in a unique culture - a ship at sea - spurring not only social development but also personal growth. Some of my fondest memories were formed on my voyage and I left with a refined character and a genuinely new outlook on life. I cannot speak highly enough of the program and recommend it without hesitation to anyone with a sense of adventure.