Seamester Study Abroad at Sea Seamester Study Abroad at Sea

Seamester: Indian Ocean, Singapore to South Africa - 90 days

Greatest Experience Ever!

SeaMester was truly the best experience of my life! I learned so much about myself, academics, practical skills, soft skills, and cultures all while sailing aboard a yacht across an ocean. Living on a boat is amazing and living so close to other students and your professors is a wonderful way to learn and grow. Some of my best friends are from this trip and they include the staff members on board. Along with all of this, SeaMester is so much fun!

It has made me want to keep travelling, sailing, exploring, and adventuring.

I think the uniqueness of the program is what makes it so interesting. I did not find any other programs for a semester abroad that could take me to so many different parts of the world. Also the fact that we became part of the crew and were the ones physically sailing across the Indian Ocean is an experience not many get to have.

My favorite part of the program is hard to pinpoint because it all was amazing. If I had to pick one I’d say anytime we were sailing without the motor because it was extremely peaceful.

An incredibly unique option

I chose Seamester because it was an incredibly unique option, with wonderful reviews and a really exciting travel itinerary.

There are so many reasons why Seamester is so amazing. Between living on a boat and sailing across oceans, learning how to sail and dive, having your shipmates become family, learning about stuff (marine biology, oceanography, leadership, etc.) and actually getting to use it, learning to cook meals for 20 people, to getting to explore different countries and beautiful destinations you read about in magazines.

It will change how you view the world if you let it. It really takes you out of the box you put yourself in and teaches you about yourself, other people, and how you work in a team.

My Seamester experience has completed altered my future plans. Instead of simply going to grad school and staying the states to finish my education, I will be taking a gap year to teach English in Korea and really immerse myself in another culture. Seamester was really my first taste of travel and it helped me broaden the horizons for where I see myself in the future.