Seamester Study Abroad at Sea Seamester Study Abroad at Sea

Seamester: Caribbean Summer- 20 days

Second family

Loved sea mester one of the best experiences i have ever done. And everyone on board just made it so much more fun. 20 days on a boat with a bunch of stranger really does change you and make you open up and make you a better person.

Second Family

Who knew that you could spend twenty days on a sailboat with nineteen strangers and end up with a second family by the end. This trip was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, from making new friendships and learning about myself to experiencing the island culture and learning how to sail. This trip reaffirmed my passion for sailing and has inspired me to one day sail the world.

Life changing

While the trip was short, I learned so much and gained so many new friends. I am still in contact with them and we have reunions every so often. I was genuinely sad to leave Ocean Star. She will always remain a home to me. The trip taught me a lot about my leadership skills, natural love for exploring, and mental capability. Sailing requires strength in a mental way that challenges and humbles you. Exploring islands was a great way to be adventurous and gain experience talking with locals and finding new places. There's nothing quite like this program and I hope to do it again for longer some day.

Best Summer Ever

The Seamester 40 day program is a ton of fun. The adventures are endless; from diving almost everyday to hikes that will challenge even the most in shape of people there is never a dull moment. The tight quarters may seem like a challenge towards the beginning of the trip, but in reality they help to foster a sense of family among the program's staff and participants that is incredibly quick to develop and lasts after the trip as well. Some highlights include the boiling lake in Dominica and diving in Saba. St Barths is a nice refreshing reminder of the ritzy, touristy caribbean as well.

Best experience of my life.

Seamester was the best experience of my life. I had no diving or sailing experience prior to this trip. I came out with a sailing certificate and an advanced PADI diving certificate. The friendships and experiences I had on this trip are probably going to be some of the best memories of my life. Some highlights were swimming with dolphins, hiking in the rainforest and seeing bioluminescence while sailing in the middle of the night. Words really can not describe how beneficial Seamester was for me. Anyone who has a desire to travel and seeks adventure can't afford to miss out on this study abroad program.

On my program Oceanography and Seamanship were offered. The classes were so fun it hardly felt like work. Studying Oceanography while living on a boat is amazing. Oceanography had many PowerPoints and labs. The labs were mostly observation in the water while snorkeling or on a boat. There was also a group project and an individual paper. There was a midterm and a final. Grade Received: B Seamanship also had a midterm and final. Some PowerPoints but mostly everything was hands on, learning as you went. Grade received: A

We lived on S/Y Oceanstar the entire time. In my small room there were 6 beds built into the wall and just outside our room were six more. Room was extremely tight but I give it an A+ because we were living as sailors on a sailboat. It was part of the experience and the adventure. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

My program took us to the West Indies from BVI to Dominica and islands in-between. Whenever we went to shore, which was often, we had a chance to talk to locals. Some tour guides were well known by staff that we were able to become friends with.

Every time I came in contact with anyone from Seamester I was impressed. Emails are returned quickly. They will even talk on the phone or by email to your schools administrators to help you get situated. I felt very safe with the Oceanstar staff. They were responsible but also made the trip fun.

Considering the fact that we were on a sailboat in the middle of the caribbean, sometimes not even able to see land, I would say I felt very safe. We had multiple drills in case of emergency. We wore life vests during passages. Sometimes sail raises were a bit dangerous, but the staff always had a close eye on us to make sure everything was done correctly.

Social Life:
Our boat had 17 people. We became a family in those 40 days. With so many people in close quarters there were going to be some problems. For the most part everyone built each other up and helped whenever possible. I was most concerned about this and I ended up becoming life long friends with everyone aboard.