Seamester Study Abroad at Sea Seamester Study Abroad at Sea

Seamester: BVI to Grenada - 80 days

Set Sail

Incredible sights, amazing people, treasured memories. The things I saw, learned, and experienced were priceless. Seamester is a special program that truly cares about its students. Great fun was had and the islands you visit and people you meet will be with you for the rest of your life. Would do it again in a heart beat.

Best Experience Ever

Fall semester through the Caribbean on Ocean Star was the most amazing time of my life without a doubt. Every moment is an adventure whether you are scuba diving, sailing, hiking, exploring islands, and even just having out with friends. The staff are hilarious and make everything fun and exciting, and the bond formed within the crew is truly like family. This is the study abroad trip everyone should experience.

Phenomenal

This is honestly one of the best decisions I have ever mad in my life. I'm a junior at NYU (yes they'll take credits), and I had a blast sailing, diving, and studying with this crew. I wouldn't have traded this experience for anything. The academics were exactly what you'd expect of a college course, but the hands on learning environment made them that much easier to understand and integrate into my life. The sailing passages were a definite highlight. Night sailing, especially, was nothing short of magical. I promise, you will not regret doing this, but I can't promise you won't not regret not doing this ;)

Best 80 days of my life

I decided to come on a Sea|mester trip because I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted to do in life. It turned out to be exactly what I needed. It completely changed my attitude and outlook. You learn so much by doing and we got completely immersed in boat life very quickly. Our crew was like a family, including the staff. I have never felt so accomplished and I have never learned so much in that amount of time. I was going for my divemaster certification on this trip as well. The whole program is run so smoothly and everything is very professional. Classes are serious and we spent more time than you would expect studying. It truly was the best 3 months of my life and if you are debating on coming, just do it. It will change your life. Sea|mester revealed my passions to me.

• The Adventure

the best adventure ever!!!

my trip with seamester was more than i had ever dreamed of -- i mean, living on boat in the caribbean for three months?! so cool. the trip itself was incredible; i loved sailing and diving and grew so much in my knowledge and confidence in both. classes were difficult at times, but always fun. i'm not a science person, but there's definitely no better place to take marine biology or oceanography than on a boat. i loved getting to meet other students and build friendships with people who i wouldn't have ever met without this trip. the friendships i made were so deep and i know i'll value them forever. the staff rocked -- i loved getting to know them and become friends with them. it's not every day that you get to hang out with your teachers (or would even want to), but i loved being with them! going on shore at all the different islands taught me so much about different cultures and i loved being a part of something bigger than myself. i loved using my phone way less than i do at home and getting to focus on other people and other cultures and learning to work as a team. seamester was a life changing experience and i'm so thankful for the opportunity i had!

Self Immersion with friends

I studied abroad in the BVI’s to give myself a break and self-reflect. For 80 days I completely went off the grid and I reflected about what I want to accomplish my senior year of college. This program gave me all that and more, I met great people and made friends for life.

the most amazing 3 months of my life

I loved every moment of this trip. 3 months sailing the ocean from Australia to Thailand was the most incredible experience that I have had so far in my life. I would do every Sea|Mester trip if I had the time. It changed me in countless ways, for the better. I got on the ship not entirely certain of what I wanted to do with my life, and I left with an insane amount of clarity about what I want my future to look like. This trip was not easy though but that is part of what made it so rewarding. All of the work that you do on the ship makes you stronger physically and mentally. The classes were fantastic although it was hard to pay attention at times i left with more knowledge about a lot of things from marine biology to basic sail training. The amount of diving that we got to do was definitely a bonus, diving the Great Barrier Reef is something that most people only dream of doing. I recommend this program 100%. The benefits that it has had on my life are countless, I can't wait to see where I travel next.

There is no need to look anywhere else

Sea|Mester is the best way to see whats out there. The different cultures of the islands is always eye opening. I think that this program offers the BEST possible environment to learn in. You become friends with all of your professors, and you are learning about the fish and processes of the ocean that surrounds you every day. You delve into sailing and life aboard a ship becomes very natural. The sailing is very intuitive no matter your skill level. Not having your phone or internet to distract you lets you look up, and see whats out there: and boy is it beautiful. It must be impossible to be sad on this trip, every sunset seems to be more perfect than the last, and every island has its own character. I suggest this trip to everyone that I see and to all of you who read this review. Sea|Mester has changed my life indefinitely, and I could not be happier with the lessons I learned aboard Ocean Star.

I felt very safe aboard this ship, and we practiced emergency procedures just to be sure.

Social Life:
You form a really close bond with your shipmates. Everyone that I went with was great; it takes a certain type of person to decide to spend a semester aboard a ship.

Amazing

Seamester was truly an incredible experience. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a classic Caribbean adventure. Life on Ocean Star is an adventure every day with sailing, hikes, diving, and more. The staff and students on my trip were amazing people; I missed them as soon as I left the boat! On Ocean Star you get to experience life at sea, from raising the sails to helming and navigating. The dive sites are amazing, as are the views from some of the highest mountains in the Lesser Antilles. While the living situation isn't exactly five-star, I got used to living out of a bunk really fast. Besides, who needs a big room when you're busy going on a new adventure every day!

Best 80 Days Ever

I originally applied to Sea|Mester because I needed an adventure. I needed to get away from the standard suburban lifestyle I'd been living and find something new. 12 countries and even more islands than that and 1238.5 nautical miles, I think it's safe to say Sea|Mester was quite an adventure.
I walked onto the ship and met 19 people, little did I know they'd quickly come to feel like family. I think that's what was so unique about this program, was just how quickly I began to feel like those strangers were my best friends -- even the staff. From them and from each other I learned more on deck than I think I would have in any traditional classroom on a college campus. Coming out of this trip not only did I take four classes, but I am also an Emergency First Responder and Rescue Diver certified. I got my Navigation Master and my VHF Operator Certification. I have an International Crew Certification. Plus, I could tell you all about copepods. If that's not convincing you, then I don't know what will.
All I can say is this: apply. Put your all into your application because if you want to be there, then chances are you'll do great.