Sea State Header Image Sea State Header Image

Panama / Journalism

Groundswell Panama was epic!

This trip was the best trip i've ever taken. We scored perfect waves all week with no one out, were immersed in Panamanian culture, learned about the effects of tourism and why sustainability is important, and traveled around paradise with a rad group of people. Everyone that was apart of this trip became family to me. Nothings better than good waves and good people in a tropical paradise! I would recommend a groundswell trip to anyone and everyone interested in traveling and/or surfing!

Life Changing

Our trip to Panama greatly exceeded my expectations. Each day is full of new and unique experiences that I will remember for the rest of my life. Groundswell does a great job of balancing lectures, cultural immersion, and surfing.

So much Stoke!

Groundswell has opened the opportunity for me to see life differently. To follow my passion for surfing while exploring and digging deeper into the true world that we live in. We push ourselves and our knowledge in new cultures and new waves, which ultimately has shown me greater confidence, understanding, and gratefulness for the world and life I have been given. It is a joy to be a part of Groundswell Educational Travel and I know there will be many more trips that I will be on with this organization!!

Life Changing Experience Thanks To Groundswell

I am nearing graduation and knew I needed a study abroad experience. Didn't have time to devote a semester nor the money to support that length of time. I heard of Groundswell Educational Travel and I found that it was a doable duration and very affordable. It was a surf trip and even though I'm not a keen surfer, everyone made me feel so comfortable and I was paddling out and catching waves in no time!! Along with this, I discovered my passion for cross cultural emersion. I am now a tourism major and emphasizing in sustainability and I have Groundswell to thank for this. I would highly recommend this program to ANY STUDENT!!! a beneficial experience and memories you can take with you for a life time.

Life changing Panama Surf Trip (Spring 2015)

My experience with Groundswell education was amazing. Not only did we score perfect waves all week but I was witnessing the effects of surf tourism first hand. I was interacting with the local community, boosting the local economy by spending my money in the local town, and without a doubt affecting the local surf culture by being in the lineup. For example, a local surfer was rightfully upset when 12 guys paddled out to his local spot that he was used to surfing alone. As a group, this situation was smoothed over but it’s a great example of the first-hand experience in the field of surf tourism. One of the most amazing parts about groundswell is seeing the effects of surf tourism first hand and then being able to discuss them with a professor as well as learn about other examples from around the world. We were even able to discuss solutions and begin implementing what we discussed. This is how we will work towards surf tourism being sustainable. This sort of education experience is unlike any other and I feel any student interested in this field of study should go on a groundswell trip. I feel like I learned more about sustainable surf tourism in one week of being in the field than I would in an entire semester in a classroom setting. I had an absolute amazing time and I will cherish my experience with groundswell forever.