Sant'Anna Institute Header Image Sant'Anna Institute Header Image

Sorrento: Spring Semester 2017

5 tips that made my spring semester in Sorrento a success!

My study abroad in Sorrento was the most inspiring and amazing experience ever. Sorrento is an incredible little town with stunning views and friendly people, always kissed by the sun and full of things to do.
My days were made of interesting classes and Sant’Anna and beach in between courses (the beach is just 2 min walking from the school!!!) and also during class time we could enjoy a breathtaking view on Marina Grande.
I strongly suggest studying abroad at Sant’Anna to everyone – it is truly the experience of a lifetime!

Here are my tips for a successful spring semester in Sorrento – things I wish I had known in advance:

1. Establish a budget
Living alone in another country can be expensive. Try not to eat out every night, shop in bigger supermarkets that are generally cheaper than small grocery stores.
Plan your weekend trips in advance and save on the transportation!

2. Don’t take too many classes
Just taking just 4 classes during your time abroad will leave you more than busy. At the beginning I thought I wanted to take as many classe sas possible to fulfill my requirements, but this would have left me with no time to make friends, travel, explore the area.

3. Don’t pack too much!
First of all, you will have to carry your luggage all the way to the other side of the world… only bring necessary items if you don’t want to spend 300$ in overweight luggage.
Also you will want to shop and buy souvenirs and you will need space in your luggage!

4. Know the country you’re going to be studying in!
Keep yourself informed on what the norm is in Italy so you know what to expect, whether it’s the culture, weather, language or style. Try to catch on some italian before leaving for your experience: people will definitely admire you if you try to put your prior knowledge of their language to use, no matter how rusty.

5. get out of the tourist traps and stay with italians!
Students traveling alone tend to search for other students of the same nationality without making any effort to immerse in the culture and lear the language. Instead, try to live in Sorrento nota s a tourist but as a person of the place. Meet and speak with Italians – don’t be afraid or embarrassed to put your italian skills into practice! The community of Sorrento is so friendly and you will become friends with the butcher, the baker, and the lovely old neighbor that will invite you for dinner!

GET THE CHANCE AND STUDY ABROAD,…IT WILL CHANGE YOU FOREVER!!!

Studying Abroad in Sorrento, Italy

Studying abroad at Sant'Anna Institute in Sorrento, Italy was the best experience in my life, thus far. There is nothing like Southern Italy, Sorrento in particular. I was extremely blessed to study abroad here and I believe it would be a good fit for a variety of students. There are world renowned hiking trails, cute boutiques and fantastic restaurants.

Study Abroad Sorrento

Sorrento is a beautiful place to study abroad. I like that it has a small town vibe instead of some of the larger more commercialized cities that we visited during our time in Italy. The professors are great and the classes are interesting.

Best semester of my life

I wouldn't trade my study abroad experience in Sorrento for the world. Amazing little town, school and experience. Sant'Anna has an incredible staff, always going out of their way to help and support their students.

Mermaid Life

Coming to Sorrento was easily one of the best things to ever happen to me. I am a student at the University of Rhode Island, a school which is not affiliated with Sant'Anna. I happened to see a Sant'Anna brochure at an abroad fair and emailed Serena to get some general information. Unfortunately I realized I would not be able to study abroad junior year due to my classes. I realized this in December of my sophomore year. I then made a life changing last minute decision and on December 18th quickly sent Serena an email asking if I could come for Spring 2015. I knew that this was completely crazy as all the deadlines had passed long ago, along with the impossible task of getting a visa, I did not get my hopes up. The next three days I spent running around URI, filing out forms and taking a trip to Boston to get a visa. URI told me that was the quickest anyone has ever enrolled, got accepted and finished all pre departure paper work. My christmas miracle was a visa and with that I was off to Italy in mid January. Sorrento is paradise. Located right on the Amalfi Coast, its hard to believe someone could study abroad here. Friends and family from home don't believe my photos are real as I post the coast line and landscapes on the daily. I live in a spacious apartment with 4 girls I had never met before but now I call some of my best friends. Our tiny program of 40 students has truly become a family. Although I am the only URI student and most other students are from the same schools and had already known each other I was accepted right away. I enjoy running to the beautiful Roman Ruins simply a mile from the school, along the road to Massa Lubrense the beautiful town 5 miles away. I have traveled throughout Europe on the weekends however some of my favorite weekends are without a doubt those of which I have stayed in Sorrento and explored the surrounding area. I went on hikes such as the Path of the Gods on the Amalfi Coast, another favorite hike to Baia di Ieranto in Nerano. Hiking around the Punta Campanella is finding paradise, the little bays and coves make me feel like a mermaid. I can't imagine leaving Sorrento next week however I am leaving a different person. Coming to Sorrento I was spinning, I needed balance and to get back to myself. I have never felt more independent, confident and at peace with myself as I do now. As Bob Marley says, "Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad but its everything in between that makes it all worth living"

life-changing, unforgettable, amazing

Studying abroad was hands down the best decision I've ever made. It cannot be described or explained to someone who hasn't done it. You truly have to study abroad to be able to understand and connect with other students who have done the same thing. I recommend it 100 percent to every study. worth every penny!

Sant'Anna Institute in Sorrento Italy

My study abroad experience has been terrific here in Sorrento and loved every minute of the everyday life it brought to me. It changed my outlook on many cultural differences I was either not exposed to or did not use and I will definitely apply them going back to the states. I recommend studying here as well as studying abroad anywhere preferably for a semester.

My Semester In Sorrento

I have only been studying at Sant'Anna Institute for about two weeks, but I can honestly say that I never want to leave. Sorrento itself is a breathtaking area located in southern Italy, and I truly cannot imagine a better place to immerse myself in Italian culture than here. The program itself further supports my experience here because all of the faculty and staff are extremely welcoming and supportive. It is clear that they are passionate about the language and are proud of their culture, and as students we feed off of that. The Italian style of living is addictive, and I am so grateful I chose to be here. I recommend this program to anyone who is interested in learning about a culture that is rich in history, eating the freshest food imaginable, and developing relationships with people that can last a lifetime.

4 Months to Remember

In America, we live in a multi-cultural society, so we assume we are diverse and have knowledge of the world. By travelling and living in a foreign country, we realize how sheltered we really are and how much more the world has to offer. Sant'Anna allows us to learn not only in the classroom but by taking us out into the world and showing us. Naturally one would feel homesick or alienated in another country, but the teachers are so welcoming and personable, as well as the Sorrento locals, that I feel more at home here than in my native town. If anyone has the chance to study abroad, Sant'Anna is absolutely a fantastic choice!

Semester in Italy

Thus far, this experience has been one I'll never forget! The location of Sorrento is one I suggest for anyone who wants to feel Italy, how it really is. The social life in this area is outstandingly genuine and the locals here are extremely welcoming. Being able to completely be in the culture and experience it with students who are just as excited as me is a wonderful thing. The school is just close enough to the apartments in Sorrento, and the walk is gorgeous anyways, I want to take my time while walking to class. So far, the atmosphere in classes has been energetic and supportive, and the professors all love what they teach, this makes a huge difference.

A world I never dreamed of...

Honestly speaking, when I was accepted as an intern to Sant'Anna Institute I did not expect to experience all that was in store for me. The mere idea of studying abroad seemed unreal and the spring semester was so far away. But, as it usually does, time flew by and I soon found myself in an airport in Rome and not knowing who or where anyone of my soon-to-be classmates were and how to find them. Luckily, like all Americans here, they stuck out like a sore thumb! It didn't take long for our group to bond and we were immediately the only familiar comfort throughout the initial culture shock.

Since then, I have experienced highs and lows (from my lost luggage to the breathtaking sights) but I have to say that I now feel completely at home. The streets of Sorrento have become MY neighborhood and the locals know me by name. It is so refreshing to be able to walk five blocks without seeing a fast-food chain or being scared for my safety. The teachers and staff at Sant'Anna are all extremely hospitable and are more than willing to help you assimilate while embracing the immersion into their Italian lifestyles. The people, the food, the language, the architecture, the fashion... I truly envy the people who live in such a beautiful place and know that this once in a lifetime experience will be the best decision I ever made!

My Experience in Sorrento

What an opportunity and a blessing this was...
Being able to immerse myself in a different culture and experience the lifestyle, food, people, and places is something I will never forget. Having the chance to learn about the Italian language, history, and archaeological background of the Vesuvian area is something I wouldn't have been able to experience first hand if not for the great staff at Sant'Anna. The countless trips that were planned and the assistance that was provided surpassed all of my expectations, and I thank all of them for it.

The Most Beautiful Place

Sorrento is one of the most beautiful places I could ever imagined, and I am here studying abroad for a semester. Last year I could have never imagined myself being here, and I am so grateful that I have been able to find such a magical place to study at for a semester. Sorrento is full of color and beauty, just walking around exploring the city you will realize there really isn't a dull looking thing at all. Even in the off season it's still beautiful. There really is nowhere else like this. Studying here as also been an amazing adventure. The school is located in an area where when you look out the window you are overlooking the crystal clear, teal blue waters of the Mediterranean. The professors and program advisors are all amazing and they love that you chose to study here in Sorrento.

Experience Of A Lifetime

I was completely immersed in a totally different culture, while enjoying every moment of it. Most of the education comes from your experiences outside of the actual college, making this entire program something you can't pass up. Though few problems do arise in the beginning mainly due to the culture shock from living conditions to just everyday life; they are quickly resolved. Sorrento, Italy was a great choice for location as the scenery is beautiful, the people are more than friendly, and though the night life is lacking, there is always something to do or another place to explore. Tourist season makes living in Sorrento somewhat irritable though, as you are forced into dealing with people who feel the need to go to extremes to get a picture or two. Although this time of year doesn't occur until close to April, so you are only experiencing this towards the end of your adventure. Overall, this program is something you absolutely cannot pass up and though expensive, totally worth every penny.

A Great Place to Be

My experience at Sant'Anna Institute has been a great one. The faculty are sweet and accommodating and truly desire the students to have an enjoyable experience. I live in a home stay, and I couldn't be more impressed and overwhelmed by the hospitality and warmth I have received from them. Sorrento is a beautiful and safe place to live. While having the typical Italian experience, I am also enjoying the small-town feel of Sorrento.

An Experience

I love Sorrento and my host family was the absolute best!!! I liked all of the students and locals were quite friendly. I felt like the school work was reasonable, but the Business in the EU professor was just awful. The guy seemed like he did not care about his students and I believe he took the easy way out of teaching. He did not care about our Italian experience. The other professors were quite impressive. Also, I believe there should be a little more time opportunities for travel since it is a study abroad program and this was my first time in Europe. Another note, please stick to the academic calendar. It causes a lot of stress when plans change the day before.

Sorrento is beautiful

Sorrento Lingue is in a great location right on the water. The reception staff is really nice and helpful and will always answer any question you may have. The classes are the perfect work load for a semester abroad and I had no problem balancing my school work with my free time. I feel that the school can offer a little more to the students in terms of better facilities on the school grounds and maybe some more field trips and organized events but overall my experience was great. I definitely suggest living with a host family if in Sorrento because otherwise you will not learn the Italian language at all.