Sant'Anna Institute Header Image Sant'Anna Institute Header Image

Sorrento: Fall Semester 2016

Great semester abroad

Sorrento is an amazing place to live and study abroad. The views of the bay of Naples and Vesuvius are beautiful. The locals are great, most will go out of their way to help you. The faculty is top notch at Sant'Anna. The professors are very knowledgeable and they will answer any of your questions about Sorrento. Ive learned so much here and would recommend it to anyone looking into study abroad.

Eataly or say it like you eat it!!

My time at sant’anna was one of the best things I have ever done in my life. The town, the people, the weather, the classes, the food and the location were just perfect. I had to walk to school with a beautiful landscape and always bring comfortable shoes. The faculty was very helpful and my host family was wonderful. The culture shock was one of the things that caught me by surprise, but once I was used to life in Italy everything was wonderful. I recommend this program a 100% and I hope more people come to sorrento.

I went, I saw, I loved, I smiled, I laughed, I learned, I cried

I enjoyed everything about my experience abroad. It was truely more than I could have ever dreamed of! I loved my family that I lived with, the friends I met and the wonderful staff at the school that was available and willing to help anytime we needed anything! I wouldn't change a thing!

The Chance of a Lifetime: Sorrento Fall 2014

Sorrento is a quaint, beautiful town and I've been lucky enough to call it home until December. St. Anna Institute has classes that are completely different than the ones I take at my university in the U.S. and I love that. The classes I take here have been some of the most rewarding and interesting classes I've taken thus far in my college career. The staff at the school is so excited to have students there that they make a point to create a personal relationship with each of the students, it truly is a joy going to class everyday and seeing how passionate they are about Sorrento, St. Anna, and studying abroad in general. The size of the group of students is one of my favorite parts about being here. There are eleven of us this semester and although this seems very small, I enjoy it because I come from a small town and a small university in Massachusetts. My largest class at St. Anna is only six students, and my largest class in the U.S. is never more than twenty five. I enjoy having small classes because it truly gives everyone in the program a chance to bond and get to know each other. Academically it is helpful to have small classes because i feel you get more out of the courses, since professors can often work one-on-one with you when needed. Overall this experience has truly been a once in a lifetime opportunity. I've met amazing people, experienced and fallen in love with a culture and I'm sure that the next seven weeks i spend here are going to continue to fly by.

My lifetime's experience!

I joined the local choir and got to sing with them at many different masses. I learned a lot of Italian, had a blast and met a lot of people from the town. It turned out to be one of the most fun experiences I had in Sorrento!

I wanted a program that would fully immerse me in the culture. I was there with other Americans, but I spent most of my time speaking only Italian and doing things with the Italians in the town, I loved it!!

I lived with a host family. I had 3 host siblings and very loving host parents that helped me with learning Italian. I got to eat with the family everyday and it was delicious!! also I saw a totally different culture then my own. I loved them!

Memorable

My most memorable experience was the whole semester. Meeting people, both American students and local Italians, and being able to truly live in another culture. Best semester of college and one that I will never forget.

To do something different from studying with a huge number of other American students. The small town atmosphere creates a unique experience of truly living in a different culture. Sorrento still sticks to traditional Italian rituals such as siesta everyday, church processions and festivals honoring saints. I also liked the courses that were being offered at Sant'Anna because many of them tied into Italian culture and the culture of the surrounding areas.

I stayed with a host family about a 15 minute or so walk to school. Other students stayed very close to me so we would walk into school together everyday. I had a food plan that allowed me breakfast and dinner. I felt very comfortable in my living situation and didn't feel like I had to tiptoe around. Highly recommend the home stay option.

Experience of a Lifetime

Sant'anna institute taught me more about the italian culture and gave me an experience that no other school would offer.

The family homestay provided by the school turned to be one of the best experiences of my whole life! they helped with any questions I had and the family was amazing

amazing. the real italian experience instead of an americanized study abroad

HELPED US SOOOOOOOOOO much with everything

i never once felt unsafe in Sorrento. Small town with no violent crime

Best Study Abroad Experience

I knew that I wanted to study abroad in a place other than Rome or Florence and Sorrento was the perfect location and Sant'Anna Institue-Sorrento Lingue was the perfect program. The academics were extremely engaging with many hands on activities in Sorrento and surrounding towns, including tours and interviews. The staff were very well prepared and very welcoming to the American students and because class sizes were smaller, there was time to get to know the professors. I did a home stay and I never once regretted it because of the great relationship I had with my host family. The town of Sorrento itself is charming and small enough where it is possible to get to know locals and practice speaking Italian and allows to truly delve into Southern Italian culture. Overall, it was the best decision of my life.

True Southern Italy!

Choosing to study abroad at Sant'Anna Institute in Sorrento, Italy this fall was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Yeah, I know, It sounds cheesy, but it is honestly true. I always knew I wanted to study abroad, and it was easy to pick Italy due to my Italian family heritage. But going to Sorrento made it SO much better than studying abroad in the stereotypical Rome or Florence would have been.

Yes, both of those cities are beautiful and have significant Italian history, but I didn't want to come abroad to go to a university with 300 other Americans. Studying at Sant'Anna gave me just the opposite! Now that I have about a week left in the program, I can safely say that I have truly experienced southern Italy. The culture, the food, the people, and I have become close with some great Italian friends who are from Sorrento and Naples.

Where else can you learn about places like Pompeii, Herculaneum, Oplontis, and then GO to those actual sites! So cool.

And with the school overlooking the shore of Marina Grande, it was so convenient to walk a few minutes down to the beach and enjoy the sun. Loved it!

Fun experience and new challenge

It was a lot of and taking a new experiences I have never done before. I am only dreamed about having the opportunity to study abroad in another country in the past. Now that I had the opportunity I would love to do again and depending if there would be another country to do it in as well. The host family was a fun for me to learn many new experiences and locals meeting with them as well to understand them as well. Program coordinators and faculty were very helpful as well with knowing how to get from one place to another or just general knowledge on life in Italy. Thank you for everything that everyone has given to me being here. Hopefully I can do another study abroad or internship in the future for school again.