Round River Conservation Studies Header Image Round River Conservation Studies Header Image

Taku Watershed Conservation Program

Transformative

I had a phenomenal time in the Taku last summer. The experience had so many different, and yet equally wonderful, facets. We hiked mountains, worked on research projects, learned about conservation biology and natural history, met and spoke with local people, etc., all the while living in a beautiful, remote town in northwestern British Columbia. It entirely changed the way I view conservation biology and made me think deeply about how humans interact with their landscapes and environments. We also had terrific leaders and a great group of nine students. Couldn't have asked for much more! Round River is an important organization that's doing important work, so it was also great to feel as if you were a piece of that.

Summer in the Taku

The summer Taku program combines academics with field experience that you can’t get anywhere else. The leaders have been working in BC for years and have a remarkable knowledge of the area, as well as connections with many of the locals, which allows students to meet many Taku River Tlingit community members. Additionally the small group size allows students to get out into some very remote areas, which make for incredible backpacking trips and field experience. Fantastic program, and great summer adventure!

Superb Summer Field Studies Program

Round River really has this program dialed in. There is so much to learn and see while you are out in the backcountry, and yet it is balanced so well with course material that you don't feel under pressure. Gorgeous scenery on the hikes and some truly special people that you get to meet from the community. All around a fantastic experience for anyone who wants to get outside for the summer and also have a good learning opportunity at the same time.

So Thankful

My experiences during the summer of 2014 have done so much for me already. I have learned so much, both science related and not, and have already been offered internships thanks to this amazing program.

I loved it

I loved it and would love to do another. It was an intimate experience that I wouldn't get any where else with another program.

Amazing Summer in BC

I learned a lot about the natural history of the area, conservation efforts, and the Taku River Tlingit First Nation (TRTFN) with Round River this past summer. We went out on day hikes in the Atlin area to conduct our field work as well as record our opportunistic sightings of wildlife. The area is remote and just stunning. In the middle of the program, we hiked to the Nakina River and spent a few days on the river, which has significant cultural meaning to the Tlingit. We also had the opportunity to interact and talk to these Tlingit community members over home-cooked meals and even a boat ride! These experiences shifted my understanding of conservation biology to a more nuanced and complex understanding. The program instructors, having done this program for more than five years, knew the area extremely well and were awesome to get to know. Truly a program I would recommend.

6-weeks to be had in The Canadian Backcountry

Program was fun. RRCS's BC program allowed us to immerse ourselves into the Taku Tlingit culture. Not only did we learn about the culture, but also went on various hikes throughout the region. While on the trip, we received the opportunity to meet various local Tlingit and get their insight. As salmon is historically a huge part of Tlingit culture, one can expect to eat lots of salmon while learning about its importance! Periodic readings supplement the use of a textbook that discuss the history of the Tlingit and why the name 'Round River' stands for what it is. Lots of wildlife and miles upon miles of mountain ranges to be enjoyed! For the individual who is interested in conservation methodology and looking to escape society and be electronically cut off from the world, this would be the program for you.