Round River Conservation Studies Header Image Round River Conservation Studies Header Image

Patagonia Conservation Program

The best semester I had at college

My study abroad experience through Round River Conservation Studies was the best semester I had at college. I learned more in those three months than any other three months in my life. It not only enhanced my academic understanding of critical concepts, but fundamentally changed my outlook on the world. The instructors were incredibly knowledgeable and fun, the other students were bright and engaged, the coursework was relevant and interesting, and Chile is packed with amazing sights, incredible wildlife, and wonderful people. If you love the outdoors, this program is for you!

A Patagonian Adventure

My experience in Patagonia with Round River Conservation Studies was hands down one of the greatest of my life. I had the ability to apply the conservation and restoration topics we learned about in courses in hands-on field study work. For the three months I spent abroad with Round River, we experienced a mix of car-camping, backpacking, etc. The program is academically rigorous in the best way, and I learned so much about myself, the country, and conservation as a whole. It is hard to put into words just how amazing the experience was, but the best way to describe it is an adventure.

Best Way to Spend a Semester Abroad

Round River gave me one of the best semesters of my undergrad experience. Not only was it in a beautiful location, but the people and classes were more than I could have hoped for. I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into, but once the program started, classes and friends and all, I loved every second of it. Never did I think that my classes would be held in an outdoor setting, immersed in the mountains, in the middle of a backpacking trip.

Study Abroad in Patagonia; Where Conservation, Academics and Adventure meet

The Round River Patagonia program gave me an in depth understanding of on the ground conservation work. Doing hands on field research for 2 different local conservation programs and interacting with the local people affected by the conservation efforts gave me a deep understanding of the pros and cons of conservation. Round River challenged many of my previous views of conservation and gave me the chance to grow as both a scientist and a conversationalist. The instructors were engaging, knowledgeable, passionate and the group size was perfect - enough people that there was diversity, but not so many people that you couldn't connect with each person. Finally, Round River also gave me the experience to explore and form a really in depth relationship with the stunning surounds of Patagonia.

The best field study program out there

Studying in Patagonia with Round River was the best part of my college experience. The program is unlike any other study abroad program I have heard of. While there, we were completely immersed in conservation the entire time, helping us achieve a more well-rounded sense all the different things meaningful conservation actually requires. My group was made up of students with a wide range of backgrounds, but everyone was both able to become engaged in the field work and find their own special "thing" to focus on and learn more about. While being constantly surrounded by the amazing Patagonian backdrop, even the most ordinary daily activities become unforgettable. This program is tough, and silly, and beautiful, and life-changing. I know I will continue to re-evaluate and learn from the situations I experienced and the people I met for the rest of my life.

Unparalleled Conservation Experience in Patagonia

My semester in Patagonia with Round River Conservation Studies gave me unparalleled experience in the world of international conservation. Round River really gives it’s students real field experience that I don’t feel like I could’ve gotten anywhere else. The leaders on this program are extremely knowledgeable and experienced, and balance academic and field work with fun trips (backpacking, cultural events, etc). I strongly feel like I came away from the program with valuable, concrete skills pertaining data collection and report writing, and that the work we conducted was going to aid real conservation. Phenomenal program!

Unparalleled Conservation Experience in Patagonia

Going abroad to Chile with Round River Conservation Studies gave me unparalleled experience working in the field of international conservation. This program gave me extremely valuable and marketable skills pertaining to data collection and report writing that look great on resumes and for future employers. By being out in the field every day, I feel like I got a very good understanding of what conducting field work really entails. Additionally, the small group size allows you to get to know your fellow students extremely well and forge close friendships. The leaders are extremely knowledgeable, and balance academics and field work with fun trips backpacking and to cultural festivals which really made this program an adventure!

The best decision I ever made

Round River Conservation studies has done an absolutely phenomenal job setting up the Patagonia program. As someone who went into the program with little knowledge on backpacking and conducting field work, I feel that my expertise gained post program qualifies me as a true backpacker and scientist. During the three months you will push yourself further than you thought possible through both physical and mental excursion. You will climb cliffs, trek over snowy passes, climb down a muddy mountainside in pouring rain, make instant mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving, laugh A LOT, and create life long friendships with both students and leaders. And you will learn more than you ever thought you could in just three months and you will have a blast while doing it.

Round River - Patagonia, Chile

I came out of my Round River semester with a deepened understanding of Conservation Biology and of my own interests and limits. Round River challenged me to think critically about the field of conservation in ways I had not experienced in the classroom. I got a taste of what extensive fieldwork entails; what it's like to live your work. Beyond the academic/fieldwork component, I loved the social dynamic of the program and living in a small group. I greatly respected my instructors and the wisdom they brought to the group. Plus, it wasn't bad to explore the Patagonian wilderness for a semester!

Round River-Patagonia, Spring 2015

Round River provides students with opportunities to bolster their life skills. Such opportunities include but are certainly not limited to:
-Hiking for several days in cold rain with a heavy pack while exchanging witty banter and information on the abundance of different plant species with new friends
-Eat absurd quantities of disc-shaped breads
-Learn the arcane details of bird identification in the Southern Hemisphere
-Embarrass yourself in front of locals with your less-than-passable Spanish language skills while attempting to buy wooden dowels
-Study the effects of hygiene negligence on the prevailing aromatic regimes of your Marmot brand sleeping bag
-Attempt to set up an orange tent in 70 mile-per-hour straight line winds