Rothberg International School at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem Header Image Rothberg International School at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem Header Image

Study Arabic at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Demanding program, but time for travel

I had an amazing time. I lived with four Israeli students in Eastern Jerusalem. I did the Penn Nursing abroad so I commuted to the Haddassah School of Nursing for courses taught in English to four other Penn students and myself. I also took a course on churches in Israel in the Rothburg International School. For our first month there, all international students took Hebrew class, which was helpful for getting around the city. My program was very demanding but I still managed to travel around Israel a bit as well as go to Petra for a weekend. I found it to be a great experience.

I had an amazing experience, but they told...

I had an amazing experience, but they told me they had an advanced Arabic program and they didn't. Also, it was very focused around Americans... little cultural exposure unless you traveled on your own. I had to consciously break away in order to meet Israelis. Dorms were beautiful and classes were good but in the "Rothberg bubble" which many loved, but which was not my thing. That said, being abroad there was the time of my life. Also, I lived with Israelis outside of the program -- so that helped, and I'd recommend that.

Very good Hebrew language program. I had...

Very good Hebrew language program. I had a great instructor.

Registering for courses was annoying -- the bureaucracy was annoying -- but overall I'd recommend it.