Raleigh International Header Image Raleigh International Header Image

Volunteer in Tanzania with Raleigh International

A life changing experience

I can not put into words how much this experience meant to me. It was life changing in so many ways. You learn so much about the importance of team work, respect, becoming humble. The whole structure of Raleigh is brilliantly planned and executed. Even though we were really living off the beaten track I always felt safe. This to me is a real experience as often traveling I find can be very artificial in the experiences you have. With Raleigh we lived with a tribe who had little contract with westerners and the experience I feel for all of us was very beneficial. Tanzania is a very special place, its warmth and culture made an everlasting impression on me. From teaching in the school, working alongside villagers to bring a fresh water supply to the community, helping local people to preserve the lives of elephants, climbing mountains (the list could go on!) This is an experience I will carry in my heart forever. I couldn't recommend it more highly, what an adventure, what a challenge, what an opportunity to come together and unify on something that changes lives both of local Tanzanians and volunteers!

Raleigh Tanzania will change your life!

Before departing to Tanzania I was more than apprehensive about what the experience would be like: would I make friends, would the community work be really helpful, would I be homesick the entire time?! But after the first two days I was already having the time of my life! There wasn't a spare second to be homesick because we were doing so much training and preparation for the community phase. The few times that I did feel sad, my group leaders were so kind and understanding that I always felt better quickly! The highlight for me was all the people I met, both the Tanzanian volunteers, leaders and other international volunteers, as well as the children and teachers at the school. We worked hard every day and had so much fun cooking and singing and chatting in the evenings. It was great to chat to the Tanzanian volunteers and hear about their plans for the future and their experiences, but also just to play football and netball together, sing and dance and play games with the school children. There was never a dull moment. The hardest part was definitely saying goodbye! You will never want to leave after you've been on a Raleigh Tanzania expedition!

Learning to feel again

Leading a team of young international volunteers on a summer-long expedition to one of the most vibrant and awe inspiring places on earth is without doubt the most worthwhile experience of my life to date. Without putting too fine a point in it, it was probably my only experience of living outside of the bubble we call home and now not a day goes by without me feeling immensely grateful for my place in the world and energised to actively participate in it's improvement.

Whatever your background or motivation, if you're looking for inspiration, challenge, camaraderie, and unique experiences with lifelong friends then this is for you.

The best 10 weeks with Raleigh

Raleigh was the perfect first adventure! They arranged everything so well. You're exposed to the amazing Tanzanian culture while feeling very secure within Raleigh. Great relationships with the local communities.

Eye-opening

My expedition in Tanzania really opened my eyes. It opened my eyes to what I can achieve as an individual. On an expedition, you're surrounded by like minded people who all share the same vision. It's a powerful, inspiring environment to be in. It also opened my eyes to international development. As a volunteer, you are at the heart of sustainable development projects. You could work on projects to provide clean water to a community, or to conserve the environment through reforestation. Raleigh truly believe that young people can make a difference. Because of this, you are actively encouraged to achieve more than you think you can. It pushes you out of your comfort zone.

Since returning to the UK, Tanzania is a country that continues to draw me back. There is something special about it that I can't quite put my finger on. It's a country filled with people who truly care about others; there is a real sense of community. The landscapes are aesthetically beautiful. And there is always a pleasant surprise around the corner.

My top tip for anyone thinking about going to Tanzania would be to leave your perceptions on poverty behind. Yes there is poverty, yes you will see it, but it is not the even a piece of the whole puzzle. Even though many have so little, it's a place filled with joy and happiness. It makes you appreciate the small things. Only those who have been can truly appreciate how special a country Tanzania truly is. It can't be put into words.

It was a pleasure to work with an organisation that encouraged me to become the best version of myself. Whilst helping me gain the skills, knowledge and ethic to have a greater impact on the lives of others during the process. If you want to create impact, be surrounded by like minded below (who will become your closest friends), whilst being in a safe, secure environment, I couldn't recommend Raleigh International enough.