Raleigh International Header Image Raleigh International Header Image

Volunteer in Central America with Raleigh International

Make a positive difference in Costa Rica!

A 7 week expedition in Costa Rica, which was made up of an environmental phase and a trekking phase. Working as part of a Conservation team during the environmental phase, in Guayabo National Park, Turrialba. The work involved reforestation, monitoring of the park and identification of species. Trek phase involved walking for 250 km over 15 days through the Guanacaste province of Costa Rica. The whole experience developed my communication skills, ability to work in tough environments, working with locals and langue skills, it was a fantastic experience and I couldn't not recommended it more!!

The once in a lifetime opportunity that I was fortunate enough to experience twice!

In 2015 I volunteered as a venturer on one of Raleigh International's 5 week expeditions in Costa Rica; it was undoubtedly one of the greatest things that I've ever done and to this date not a week goes by that I don't think of the time that I spent out there. From the 5 day trek to the 11 day projects on St Lucas and Carara National Park every moment of that 5 week expedition was truly incredible, so much so that one year later I signed up to do it all over again in Tanzania!

Life changing!

Where do I start? Gaining valuable life and leadership skills, travelling to two of the most beautiful countries in the world (Costa Rica especially) and creating countless memories that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Whether you are a student on a gap year or a young adult looking to go travelling, this couldn't be more perfect for you. I fell in love with Costs Rica's outstanding scenery and their laid back way of life. Perfectly summarised by their locals motto 'Pura Vida' which translates to pure life. Along with meeting the locals, there are many other volunteers on the expedition from all across the globe, creating new friends along the way. If it wasn't for Raleigh, I would have never thought of travelling to this part of the world and am forever grateful for the opportunity they have given me. Please do not hesitate to do this!

Volunteer manager in Costa Rica

I spent 13 weeks as a volunteer manager in Costa Rica & Nicaragua and was one of the most enjoyable things I've done! My role was about supporting a team of volunteers - trying to motivate a team of people to trek across the country when I wasn't sure I could get there myself was definitely challenging but totally rewarding. I was probably the least likely person to lead a trek but am proof that anyone can do it. Costa Rica is a beautiful and the people are so friendly and the time spent working in the national parks and on community projects in Nicaragua was amazing. The biggest reward was definitely seeing the volunteers develop.

Community resilience; construction and education

My team and I trekked into the local indigenous community of Tsiruri in the Costa Rican jungle. Whilst there for five weeks we built three classrooms and a bedroom for students and teachers who travelled large distances to go to school each day. The community were very appreciative of the work we did and welcomed us into their community, playing music, showing us around the area, playing football matches with the volunteers and cooking us great food everyday. Some of us took part in teaching English and Mathematics lessons as well which gave a great opportunity to get to know the students and teachers more. The experience was extremely exciting and motivated me to go and work as a volunteer after the expedition had finished and it was our time to leave. I stay in contact with some of the people from the community and plan to return myself this year to see how they are all getting on two years after we went there.

The best experience with Raleigh International

When I stumbled upon the Raleigh International Expedition page on the internet I knew that this would be the perfect volunteering opportunity for myself. After having spent 10 weeks in Costa Rica and Nicaragua with Raleigh it has by far been the best experience of my life. I was personally pushed and challenged and was inspired by the kindness of the Costa Ricans and fellow volunteers. Over a year after I volunteered with Raleigh I still value the experience, noticeably see how it changed me as a person and speak of it often.

I'm planning on going back on Expedition with Raleigh soon, and I could not recommend doing a Raleigh Expedition enough- I do now know anybody who regretted it, and I certainly could not have loved the experience more!