Volunteer Medicine and Healthcare in Jamaica with Projects Abroad

Volunteering with Projects Abroad--Medical Project in Jamaica was the highlight of my summer

The summer after graduating from college, I volunteered for three weeks with Projects Abroad--Medical Project in Jamaica. My overall experience in one word was, incredible. I learned so much from working with the medical staff at the rural medical clinic I was stationed at, not only about the Jamaican healthcare system, but about medical practices in general, as well. My only regret is that I could not stay longer! I definitely recommend staying for a minimum of four weeks, that way you can really get accumulated with your placement. By the middle to end of my time there, I was able to do much more "hands-on" work with the patients, mainly because I knew the system and daily routine, and the medical staff was confident in my skill-set range (I should note that some medical placements have more hands-on opportunities than others). My experiences with my host family, the Projects Abroad staff (both the pre-trip planning and in-country employees), the other volunteers, and the Jamaican people were all 10/10! I hope to go back some day.

The International Volunteer Programs Association