Volunteer Abroad in Fiji with Projects Abroad

Nutrition Project

A spur of the moment decision to volunteer led me to find Projects Abroad and a nutrition project in Fiji. I spent a few days researching different organizations. Many were appealing, however, Projects Abroad seemed to be a very reputable organization that had nearly everything that I was looking for.
From my initial submission of the application I was receiving emails and assistance on how to efficiently finish the other requirements. With the guidance of a volunteer advisor I was assisted on the application process, all of the required documentation, flights and itinerary, visa questions, travel insurance as well as, general advise for travel.
I spent 4 weeks on the nutrition project. I took part in the early stages of the project and was given the opportunity to experiment and implement programs. Although I was unable to make any major contributions to the project in terms of new ideas, I played a role in the existing program. Much of my time was spent going into the public schools around Nadi and providing free health checks to the teachers. This included taking and recording their name, height, weight, waist and him measurements, blood pressure, and blood sugar readings. From there we would consult with them on their lifestyle and health and introduce to them the ‘kana vinaka/healthy eating challenge” and exercise programs.
My experience volunteering was so much more than just the project itself. These 4 weeks would not have been the same without the influence of my host family, the other volunteers, and the PA staff. I was so welcomed by my host family and was grateful for the experience and opportunity to learn about their culture. I was also so glad to have met the other volunteers. We were able to spend a lot of time together in the evenings and on the weekends and I can now say that I have many new friends (from all over the world!). Vinaka vakalevu to the Projects Abroad organization and more importantly to the wonderful PA staff of Nadi, Fiji.

Nutrition Project in Fiji

Bula!
When I first stepped foot on the beautiful island of Fiji, I was happily welcomed with Bula's all around! It didn't stop after the airport though, it continued until I landed in the United States. To be honest, I was sad when I no longer was being welcomed with the Fiji cheer. Everyone in Fiji is so welcoming and friendly. Staff, homestay families, volunteers, even complete strangers love to hear about your exciting adventures!

Projects Abroad is an amazing way to see a new country while knowing you are making a difference. Not only do you have lots of free time in the evenings and on weekends to go skydiving or surfing, while you're working, it is the time of your life!

All of the volunteers and staff have become life long friends and I am happy to know that I made a difference in Fiji. I know I will return someday and I can't wait to go on another adventure with Projects Abroad!

The International Volunteer Programs Association