Teen Volunteer Trips with Projects Abroad

2 weeks to remember!

I volunteered for Projects Abroad's 2-week Care and Community High School Special program for a summer camp at a primary school for children 4-17 years old around the Knockpatrick community. For months before I departed for Jamaica, my Projects Abroad volunteer advisors, travel team advisors, and other administration officers frequently kept in contact with me through phone calls and emails to answer all of my pre-departure questions, find the cheapest flights for me, and make sure i was completely ready for the trip. Since we were on the high school special program, the staff made sure we were always with at least one of the staff members, our host family, or a taxi driver for Projects Abroad to keep us safe. They often asked us how we were liking Jamaica, our placements, and accomodations, and if we had enough to eat and drink, if we have enough supplies to work with at our placements, and if we felt comfortable at our host family's home to make sure we were all doing well during the trip. The children we worked with were underprivileged; some do not have much to eat at home, some do not have access to technology and other school supplies we deem necessary, and others do not receive much love and support from their families. The staff at our placement came up with numerous fun and creative activities for us to do/help the children with; some of which include many different arts and crafts projects for the children to enjoy and take home, scavenger and treasure hunts, photography, quiz competitions, acting out life lessons like being honest and helping the elderly, and teaching etiquette and sign language. It was such a joy to see the big smiles on the children's faces when they finished their arts and crafts, when we let them use our phones and cameras to take pictures, when we played all sorts of games with them outside, and etc. Our host family was so welcoming and caring. They made sure we had plenty to eat for all our meals, and we were able to choose what type of sandwiches we wanted to take with us to our placements for lunch each day. The volunteers who stayed at the same house with me and I quickly became so close. I loved how the staff had daily social events at the Projects Abroad office for all the volunteers from the different high school special programs to get to be together with everyone, instead of only seeing people from our individual programs for 2 weeks.It was great to be able to learn so much about Jamaica's beautiful culture, provide joy and love to the underprivileged children, as well as become great friends with and learn about the other volunteers from all over the world. The girls and I could not believe that we had only been together for such a short amount of time, because it felt like we had been friends for years... but the 2 weeks went by so quickly, it felt like it was only 4 days! If you are a high school student looking for a great program to work with children, learn about Jamaica's food, language, way of life, and see some of Jamaica's beautiful scenery, I definitely recommend going on one of Projects Abroad's high school special programs!!

High School Medical Special in Bolivia

I participated in Projects Abroad High School Summer Medical Special in Bolivia. I am interested in the medical field so I thought this would be a great way to expand my knowledge, which it definitely did. We did medical workshops almost everyday along with activities to help the community. Some of the work we did included spending time with children at a burns unit and just giving them someone to talk to. Another day we went and learned traditional Bolivian dances at a retirement home for one of the resident's birthdays. Among these rewarding experiences, we got real experience in a medical environment that wouldn't be possible elsewhere! I spent one morning observing a consultation doctor's office, and the afternoon in the emergency room watching emergency procedures. We even got to watch a dental surgery. What made it even better was that the group of people I was with were all very friendly and equally as enthusiastic about all the great work we did. Plus, I got to stay with an amazing family which made my Spanish much better! I'm so happy with the time I spent in Bolivia and will never forget the great memories and experiences that I made there!

The International Volunteer Programs Association