Teach English in Vietnam with Projects Abroad

Teaching English in Thuy Anh

I had a wonderful experience volunteering in Vietnam. From start to finish, the staff was helpful, by my side, and incredibly understanding and accommodating to my concerns. I was not in Hanoi, I was placed in Thuy Anh, a village about two hours outside of the city. Thuy Anh, while more remote than I was expecting, was absolutely wonderful and the best place that I have ever been. The people were incredibly gracious and welcoming. I had grades one through five with about fifty students in each class, and I taught twice a day for two hours each class. The students were so sweet, so smart, and loved games and songs.
I stayed at the rehab center with volunteers who were care volunteers or therapists, and I worked at the primary school down the road. Each volunteer had a bed, a mosquito net, a pillow and blanket, sheets, and a cabinet to keep our things that locked for safety purposes. We also had a kitchen that had a refrigerator, a sink, and an electric kettle. There were two bathrooms that each had a shower, and one bathroom had a washing machine. Lunch and dinner were provided for us (which I thoroughly enjoyed), and there were shops to buy things like yogurt for breakfast!
This is a great option to be in a different environment, and really feel like you're making a difference and helping!

The International Volunteer Programs Association