Teach English in Ecuador with Projects Abroad

Teaching in the Galapagos!

I went to the Galapagos Islands to teach English for a month though the program Projects Abroad. The staff was incredibly supportive, not only passionate about their work, but also personable and kind to every volunteer. Immediately I felt looked out for and like all my needs we're being met. For my teaching project, I worked at one of the local high schools. I was paired with an English teacher and helped him plan lessons, grade, and worked with him on his pronunciation. I lived with a well selected host family. Every volunteer had such a great experience with their families and the staff constantly checked in to make sure there were not issues. I had the opportunity to see so much on the galapagos, it was far and away better than I could have ever imagined. I met so many amazing people, locals and volunteers. Projects abroad really immerses you into the culture of the country and by the end you feel like a local, living with a family, working with locals, discovering the secrets to the country or area that tourists don't always know about. I always felt safe and loved every minute of my volunteer trip!

The 8 weeks that changed my life

Eighteen years old, early high-school graduate of a small mountain town in North Carolina, you could say going thousands of miles away to live and teach was a shock for my family and everyone that knew me-including myself. Unsure of what I was getting into, looking back now I had no clue what was about to rock my world, the people of the Galapagos.
After becoming a part of my host family and making life long friends from every corner of the world, I came to appreciate and see my world around me with a whole new view. The people I was supposed to be impacting were changing my life in more ways than one. The island and the people that inhabited it grew my heart with each greeting and adventure.
From climbing volcanoes, snorkeling with sharks, and belonging to a community, Projects Abroad helped me find who I am. Each situation I handle daily is shaped by my values and character that my volunteer experience gave me. It is a gift that I could never repay.

The International Volunteer Programs Association