Shark Conservation in Fiji with Projects Abroad

Incredible experience

Diving into this project was one of the best decisions that I have made. When I arrived, I was greeted by the older volunteers who instantly became my close friends. The overall atmosphere of the shark conservation project was welcoming so I had no problem immersing myself into the project. The staff members were very insightful, supportive, and driven which permitted all volunteers with a sense of curiosity and willingness to learn more. In addition, the staff truly pushed the volunteers to integrate into the local communities and learn and participate within the culture. They made the volunteers feel safe 100% throughout the project. During the shark dives, the Beqa Adventure Divers (BAD) staff made the shark dive feel immensely comfortable and safe by being right there, standing right over each and everyone. This is an opportunity that one should not miss out on so I highly recommend for potential volunteers to step outside of their comfort zone and just do it!

Experience of a Lifetime

This was the experience of a lifetime. I came in not expecting anything and left with incredible memories that I will never forget. Diving with the bull sharks was amazing and the diving team, Beqa Adventure Divers, knew exactly what they were doing. You always felt safe and each staff member truly cared about you. The people of Fiji were so kind and friendly. The staff members at Projects Abroad were very knowledgeable and helpful when it came to everyday work. They truly cared for every volunteer and were passionate about the project which made you love it that much more. The cook, Uni, was incredible and would be sure to meet everyones dietary needs whether they be vegan or vegetarian. All of the staff members were amazing and I have built relationships with them and the volunteers that will last a life time. They make sure to immerse you well into the Fijian culture which is a very important part in volunteering abroad. This project is highly respected by the locals because of this. You have the weekends to enjoy your free time exploring different parts of the island. I will never forget the people and memories made in Fiji during this trip.

Trip of a Lifetime

My experience with Projects Abroad in Fiji was fantastic. It won't be my last trip with them that's for sure. I thought the project was organized and run very well. It was my first trip outside of the U.S. so I was a bit nervous but the staff was friendly and the other volunteers were welcoming. The accommodation was clean and sufficient. The staff was very knowledgeable. Every day they would post the schedule for the next day so I was never confuse about what I was supposed to be doing for the day. There was also a bookshelf full of study aids and information packets that explained how to do each job. All the dives we did, both survey dives and shark dives, were amazing. Fiji is truly a beautiful place, and the people there are so friendly. Our visits to the villages were unforgettable. The opportunity to eat traditional Fijian food and talk to the villagers was invaluable. The other experiences outside of the project were so much fun as well; swimming with Manta Rays, snorkeling, river rafting, etc. I learned so much from this experience, and I can't wait to do it again!

Shark Conservation, fiji,

Let me start of by saying this was the best experience i’ve ever had.
I went to Fiji for the shark conservation program for 3 weeks. The cost included a full staff introduction and lunch when you first arrive, pick up and drop off from the airport, accommodation and an abundance of food. The staff planned our everyday activities very well and was with us at all times and was there if we had any problems. The dive shop we went through were some of the best around. The equipment was sound and the place wasn't sketchy at all. Over all I cant think of one bad thing about this trip other then it was a bit cold. The activities you get to do during the trip are amazing and the friends you make, make the money you spend so worth it.

An experience like no other- Fiji Shark Conservation

The Projects Abroad Fiji Shark Conservation Program was like nothing I had ever experienced before. The staff were intelligent, knowledgeable in the field, and supportive throughout every part of the program. I had an advisor to talk with before I left for the trip to make sure I was prepared for my travels and staff members greeting me right when I arrived to make sure I felt at home.

The other volunteers quickly became my close friends, and I loved working with every one of them. We all got along well and they were all as friendly and as passionate as I was about saving our world's sharks. The project really does make a difference not only in protecting the sharks but in supporting the local community as well and that was evident each day when we went to work. I felt that my work was really going to make a difference in the world.

I absolutely loved my Projects Abroad experience and would recommend this project to anyone passionate about ocean conservation and marine life. The Projects Abroad team and other volunteers helped make my experience the experience of a lifetime.

The International Volunteer Programs Association