Public Health in Ghana with Projects Abroad (Spring Break)

Public health project in Ghana

Over winter break, I participated in a 3-week public health internship in Dodowa, Ghana assisting the nurses of the Shai-Osodoku District Hospital by weighing and vaccinating children 0-24 months at child welfare clinics and administering first-aid (treating malaria, ringworm, cuts/sores, etc.) to school-aged children during school and orphanage visits. I really enjoyed this project because it was very hands-on. I really felt like I was learning a lot about public health outreach in a developing country, all the while giving back to the community that was helping me learn these lessons. The experience has motivated me to pursue a nursing degree upon college graduation.

I stayed with Mr. and Mrs. Armah and their four children. The family took very good care of me. Despite frequent community-wide power outages, the accommodations were adequate and comfortable. I also very much enjoyed meeting and spending time with fellow volunteers from across the world, and traveling independently across southern Ghana on the weekends.

The International Volunteer Programs Association