Projects Abroad in Argentina - Care & Spanish (High School)

Missing my Projects Abroad trip!

This August, I went to Córdoba, Argentina, with Projects Abroad for a two-week Care and Spanish High-School special. I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. From the beginning, my host family welcomed my roommates and I like we were family members ourselves. Maria Julia and Alberto were always there for anything we needed (and Maria Julia especially made sure we never went hungry!) The Projects Abroad staff was super clear and thorough about everything from the start, giving us detailed schedules, emergency contact information, etc. In the mornings, I had spanish classes that lasted 2 hours, and I had taken a level test (nothing at all stressful) before being placed in my class. My teacher was excellent–never making us feel stupid but always correcting our mistakes when needed in order to help us improve. My favorite part about the class was that it was conversation based, so that it was never boring: we were always talking and playing games. After eating lunch in our homes, our group went to a care center called El Vagón, which gave kids in the neighborhood a place to spend time in the afternoons if their parents were busy. I was wonderfully surprised how welcoming and friendly the kids were, kissing us hello and goodbye and always making an effort to remember our names. They also tried to help clarify things when we got stuck with our Spanish. With them, we played soccer, did arts and crafts projects, and helped prepare their daily snack. We formed such close relationships with the kids that on the last day, some of us were in tears about having to leave them. Our group leader, Carina, was such a great leader that I felt as though she was a real friend (she still is!) and not simply a sort of chaperone. The PA staff made sure we knew all our flight details, were comfortable with our host families, and having a good time overall. There is honestly nothing I would change about the trip–it was something from which I have so many good memories and would recommend to anyone wanting to go outside of the country to learn while having a meaningful experience.

Best. Experience. Of. My. Life.

I traveled to Argentina this past summer with MyProjectsAbroad’s Care & Spanish program. This program was a High School Special that allowed me to spend two-weeks of studying, volunteering, and travelling in the beautiful country of Argentina. A typical weekday with this program consisted of many fun activities. The other members of my section of the project, my host family sisters, and I would volunteer in an underprivileged kindergarten for about 4 hours each day. After an extremely large feast for lunch every day, we would then head off to our Spanish lessons with the other members of the program. The night was usually ours to do whatever we felt like doing, unless there was a social that MyProjectsAbroad had planned. I always looked forward to these socials because it was a chance to meet people from ALL OVER the world. Some socials included touring Che Guevara’s home, ziplining in the mountains, karaoke nights, and even dance lessons!
Overall, I could not have been happier with my experience with ProjectsAbroad. The staff was extremely accommodating and very well-organized. They did a great job of keeping the line between being supervised and independent. I never felt like I was unsafe or coddled, which was a huge fear of mine, pre-departure. I have only good things to say of ProjectsAbroad!
As for my host family, it could not have been a better fit. My host parents were very welcoming and incredibly caring! If I ever had a problem, I knew that I could have come to them for anything. I definitely can say that the food was amazing, as well! Maria Julia, my host mother, always made sure my stomach was full. Overall, my entire experience in Argentina was nothing less than perfect. If you ever get the chance to travel with ProjectsAbroad, I strongly suggest you do it! My trip to Argentina was, hands-down, the best experience of my life.

The International Volunteer Programs Association