Projects Abroad Header Image Projects Abroad Header Image

Medicine in Nepal with Projects Abroad (2-Week High School Special)

Take Me Back To Nepal

Projects Abroad staff is so supportive and responsive. They helped me figure out what the program was about, plan my trip and flight, and answered questions about what to pack and what to expect. I must have sent at least twenty emails to them, and they were all replied to in a timely manner - less than a day usually!
I stayed in Hotel Lion (Kathmandu) and Hotel Global (Chitwan). They were clean, had friendly staff members, amazing AC, good food, and wifi, which was a lot better than I had expected. My placement was in Chitwan, where I was allowed to visit a variety of different hospitals - general, eye, cancer, family planning etc. Many of the hospital staff spoke English, and were therefore able to explain specific procedures and tools to us. I got to watch several abortions, an afterbirth, eye surgeries, and a redressing of a cancer patient. I even got to use some of the equipment and perform simple check-up tasks.
Not only did we get to visit the hospitals, but we also get personal lectures and lessons by the doctors there. We got a lesson on the history of tuberculosis, and an anatomy lesson at the Chitwan Medical Center where we were allowed to examine real human organs and preserved bodies.
We also paid a visit to a local children's school, where we taught them how to brush their teeth. It was a nice change of pace from the hospitals, and really allowed us to get to know the Nepalese. The kids are just so cute.
On the weekend, we were whisked off to Chitwan National Park, where we went on a canoeing tour and an exhausting but exhilarating three-hour hike. It actually started raining an hour into our hike! It was wet, sure, but it helped with the heat and humidity, and added to the fun and spontaneity of the experience.
This trip has been one of the best trips I've ever taken. Thanks Projects Abroad!

The International Volunteer Programs Association