Medicine in Mexico with Projects Abroad

Life Changing

I chose to intern abroad in Guadalajara, Mexico in Medicine for three weeks. I wanted to make sure my career choices were made by my own influence. As soon as I signed up, Projects Abroad was available to answer any questions I could have. They supported me all pre- departure, on my arrival, and my departure. I was placed in one of the general hospitals. I worked in the delivery room, consultations, and emergency pediatrics. I fell in love with emergency medicine. My host family was so friendly and excited to have me. My house mate was another volunteer on a different project. She and I made so many new friends! I even had a Projects Abroad worker I could text day or night with any question I could have. She also met with me once a week to make sure I was comfortable and happy.

Mexico is a beautiful country with beautiful people

I was nervous about traveling to Mexico for two months because I did not know anyone in the country and I would be working in an industry that I had little experience being a part of (not to mention I did not speak much Spanish). However, Projects Abroad made me feel so comfortable before I left and made sure that I had all my questions answered and that I knew exactly what to expect when I arrived in Mexico.

When I first arrived in Guadalajara for my two month medical internship, I was immediately greeted by a member of the Projects Abroad team and taken to my accommodation. I was then shown around the city by the Projects Abroad staff and they introduced me to the people I would be working with and ensured that I knew how to get to and from my workplace without any problems.

I felt very well taken care the entire two months. The staff in Guadalajara were always there to help me if I needed it, any time of day, all days of the week. They even organized various community service projects and fun outings for the volunteers so that we could take a break from our busy schedule and get to know each other. I got the chance to release newborn sea turtles into the ocean on one of these outings.

I had a great experience in Mexico and I thank Projects Abroad for all that they did for me. This is a great company with employees who truly care about their volunteers.

The International Volunteer Programs Association