Projects Abroad Header Image Projects Abroad Header Image

Medicine in Bolivia with Projects Abroad

Medicine Internship in Cochabamba

I had a great experience in Cochabamba interning at one Centro de Salud and one hospital. In the Centro de Salud I had hands-on experience working with the gynecologist, and in the hospital I spent time in the emergency room, learned from the doctors, had overnight shifts, and even got to witness the birth of a baby. Both placements were wonderful.

As an entity, Projects Abroad is really big and therefore there are definitely gaps in communication between the different departments which are all over the world. Plus, all the different departments are located in different time zones, so preparing for the trip seemed very chaotic. Also, the gaps in communication made an error that the staff in Bolivia did not know what time to pick me up from the airport - the time they had down to pick me up was 10 hours after I actually arrived.

But once you get to Bolivia, the staff there is wonderful and will take great care of you. Cochabamba is a very friendly city, and the people are very kind. Plus, you get to live in the mountains, which is very lovely.

Overall, I had a fantastic time as a medical intern in Cochabamba and I would definitely recommend it.

The International Volunteer Programs Association