Medicine in Argentina with Projects Abroad

Medicine in Argentina

The hosting families were very warm and welcoming. The staff at Projects Abroad was kind and helpful and treated all of us as if we were their younger brothers/sisters. We were given home cooked meals 3 times a day and were allowed to purchase our own snacks. The living accommodations were clean and comfortable. The amount of work was good; not too tiring and just enough to keep us interested and busy. The Spanish Lessons helped to make us more comfortable when communicating. Hospital staff were all respectful. Weekend trips were amazing (zip lining in mountains, touring the city, other tourist attractions, etc.). My housemates instantly became my family and I still talk to them to this day. Overall a phenomenal experience. Would recommend.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review June 24, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Dear Smozaffar

We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience volunteering abroad with us! Your help in Argentina was highly appreciated by the patients you helped. It's always a pleasure to receive enthusiastic volunteers such as yourself. Hope you can join us again in another one of our projects!

Amazing experience with P.A.!

It was only a few weeks before my fall semester that I decided to take the plunge and travel to Argentina in place of my Fall 2016 semester. I was feeling burned out from my college experience and wanted to do something enriching, rewarding, and unforgettable. Luckily for me, ProjectsAbroad was all the above and exceeded every expectation I have. As a premedical student, I initially chose the 10 week Medical program, but after only being in Cordoba for two weeks, I extended my time by another two weeks and took on additional work as a human rights volunteer.

While with ProjectsAbroad, I traveled with other volunteers to other cities in Argentina like Salta, San Marcos, Buenos Aires, Iguazu, and even Santiago, Chile! There are so many amazing memories to choose from, it’s difficult to pick a favorite, but if I had to, I’d pick Iguazu. The bus ride was 22-hours, and armed with snacks, portable chargers, and earplugs, five other volunteers and I made the trip to see the falls. The falls were incredible and for the first time in a long time, I was absolutely awestruck. They were amazing! We even took a boat ride that brought us close enough to the falls to get sprayed, which felt great because it was starting to get hot. While we were there we saw monkeys, toucans, and little animals called coatis.

There is nothing I would have changed about my experience, except for maybe staying longer! My host mom was amazing, and the ProjectsAbroad staff was incredible as well! They gave me all of their information, and were always happy to help! I really loved how accessible the staff was, and getting to the office was a breeze as well. They really understand the needs of volunteers and really do everything they can to make sure you’re settled and taken care of if you need anything. One thing I really appreciated was how a staff member would teach you how to get to the office, to your job placement, and back. It’s remarkable how, thanks to their support, I never felt alone in a city of over a million people. As I look back, I think it’s incredible how the memories I made over 3 and a half months will last me a lifetime.

Medicine and Spanish High School Special

In the summer of 2015 I went to Argentina to volunteer. I had no idea what to expect and I was blown away by the quality of my experience. The activity ranged from watching check-ups and surgery to zip-lining to dissecting a human body! I had a wonderful homestay mother, Dora, who was very kind and always had a nice hot meals ready for us. The experience of going with a group of high school students is an excellent advantage to Project's Abroad's programming. Another great benefit to the program was the constant help and 24h supervision from the staff. You felt completely safe all the time. The only thing I would have done differently is waited until I was a year older just because my lack of previous knowledge on anatomy prevented me from fully enjoying the program.

The International Volunteer Programs Association