Medical Experience in Nepal with Projects Abroad

Experienced nurse

Projects abroad was a gateway for meaningful exploration. I was also looking for a break from all the stress of a Medical-Surgical nurse. I’ve had my nursing degree for 2 years and have been working at a hospital near Washington D.C for three years now. A change of scenery was what I needed from the burn out I was starting to experience. I was looking at going to Vietnam or Nepal. I ended up choosing Nepal because of the Himalayas, the recent earthquake in 2015 and from conversations with my charge nurse who is Nepali. In August 2016 I ventured out to my first cross ocean flight. Chitwan Medical College is top of the line when it comes to Nepal healthcare. People travel 4+ hours to get care for their family members. The doctors were very knowledgeable and the nurses where receptive to the skills I had. You really have to be proactive when it comes to hands on learning. I obviously only volunteered to do what I was comfortable and knowledgeable in doing. For example a motor cycle accident patient came into the emergency department and I helped with vitals and clean the blood of him while looking for debris embedded into his skin. The housing they provided is safe, had running water and electricity. The staff is available whenever and makes their presence known. They do as much as they can to get you to the departments you want to work at and the places you want to visit. The price is worth the experience as I only had to pay for clothes, souvenirs and hotel stay at a neighboring city. The high school program offers trips to local sites so you can join in the transportation and go for free.

my experience in nepal

Nepal simply took my breath away and I still dream about going back there one day.
I had done international volunteering once before, high school, to Morocco. But because that was through a school program, I wanted to try something a little more independent and adventurous. A university friend referred me to Projects Abroad who had gone the year before.
I honestly didn’t know anything about Nepal. I saw pretty photos prior, and that was it. I signed up for the program because I was pre-med in college and wanted a chance to see different perspectives of medicine, and Projects Abroad had a medicine program placed in Chitwan, Nepal.
The process before the trip was straightforward. The flight there was very long, a good two days worth, coming from the states. No problems, though. I was taken to Hotel Exelsior first, where I made my first friend in the program – we got to explore Kathmandu together! And then we embarked on the 6 hour bus ride to Chitwan.
Chitwan was HOT. I went in June for a month and it was right around monsoon season, temperature peaked at 120 degrees. This is something you simply get used to.
I could talk about how Nepal is great, but since this review is strictly about the program I was in, I’ll keep my points at that. The medicine program places you in a 5-day a week placement at the Chitwan Medical College, a teaching hospital. You are able to choose where you would like to volunteer. I choose pediatrics and emergency for the first two weeks, and then spent the rest of my time in the Operating Room since my main interest resides in surgery.
You are given a lot of independence in the program. With friends from the program, you learn together how to navigate the village until it becomes second nature. You get to the hospital, and it is your call to talk to the doctors and nurses or not. So this program is entirely what you make of it! You must be forward and vocal. Language barrier is no excuse, because all the staff I worked with could speak great English! The residents there would teach me about taking vitals, detecting symptoms for the various diseases and conditions, what its like doing rounds, what its like going through medical school in Nepal, etc. Beyond medicine, it is also a great opportunity to really share with each other about the cultural differences. If I wasn’t talking with the doctors, I was talking with the patients. I remember distinctly I had a lengthy two hour conversation with a patient about morality and the importance of philosophy, when I told them I was studying philosophy and medicine in school. This conversation holds great memory with me today.
The staff of Projects Abroad is SO friendly and incredibly kind. My host father was actually one of the leaders of the program in Nepal (Binod!) and he was so funny and friendly. In the few weeks I spent in Nepal, I felt so connected to everyone. I miss the program so much, would do anything to go back and relive it.

Best four weeks of my life

My plan was to volunteer somewhere in Africa and I looked at so many reviews online for a organization that is safe to go with. After reviewing many of them and talked to few, I decided to go with Project Abroad, smartest decision ever. Their staffs were the loveliest and friendliest people I've ever met in my life. They make sure you are having a great experience and check up on you all the time. You never feel homesick with them.
I volunteered in Medical placement since I am planning on studying in area in future. By volunteering in Chitwan Medical College Hospital, I learned a lot of things in that area and also found out what is my interest and what is not. You get to choose with ward you wanna volunteer in each week. I volunteered in ER, OR(OT in Nepal), maternity ward and psychiatric ward. I observed some pretty cool procedures and cases. I communicate with my broken Nepali with the patients and family and made so many good memories. Doctors and Nurses also help you a lot and answer all of your question. moreover, I learned what it means that you should not get attach to your patient as a doctor. As a volunteer I got so attached to few patients in psychiatric ward and had to check up on them even if i was in another ward.
In the end I have to say best experience of my life and I definitely recommend people to go with this organization. I would definitely try to go somewhere else next summer with Project abroad!

Highly Recommend

Projects Abroad provided me a 4 week volunteer abroad experience in Nepal that was truly phenomenal and life changing. I traveled with Projects Abroad during the summer of 2014. This was my first time traveling alone and the first time I traveled outside of the United States. Projects Abroad made this big step very easy and comfortable. Throughout my entire stay in Nepal, Projects Abroad made sure I was always safe, had clean food and water, and easy contact to parents and family members. For anyone with a desire to volunteer abroad I highly recommend Projects Abroad. They offer service destinations to many different countries and volunteer specialties of numerous areas. I was in the Medical Special. I spent a lot of time in hospitals and clinics around Nepal. I gained more experience from my months stay in Nepal than I ever imagined. For anyone interested in the Medical field this specialty is amazing to gain experience and appreciation for your home-countries developed healthcare systems. Many of my roommates worked in the Care and Community service group and loved every second of it. I have also heard that the Conservation group is extremely interesting as well. Overall, Projects Abroad gave me the best experience of my life! A trip I will never, ever forget.

4-week medical internship in Nepal

I chose to spend a month in Nepal last summer to intern at the Chitwan Medical College Teaching Hospital in Bharatpur, and it was one of the best and most interesting experiences of my life. From the beginning, Projects Abroad staff were available for support and any questions I had. When I arrived at the Kathmandu Airport, a staff member was waiting to pick me up and take me to the hotel, where I met a few other volunteers and explored the city of Kathmandu with them.

During my placement in Bharatpur, I was in the hospital every day from 7am-1pm in various wings, including OB/GYN, OR and ER, the pathology lab, the pediatrics ward, and the orthopedics department. I witnessed three live births, a C-section, and some ER cases, and it was always interesting to talk to the doctors and nurses on call about their experiences. This is so different from any experience I would have gotten in my home country, so I truly value the insight I have gained from talking to the staff at the hospital.

Projects Abroad staff continually checked in with each volunteer to make sure that there were no problems with the host family or culture shock. We met with all the other volunteers and the staff members weekly to discuss what had happened during the week, placement changes, and plans for weekend excursions. This was also helpful to hear what other volunteers had to say and make sure we were all having a beneficial experience.

Nepal is a beautiful, diverse country with so much to see and do, and the Nepali people are some of the most accepting, curious people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I will definitely return when I have a chance, and would recommend a visit to anyone!

Two week medical program in Nepal

I was a part of a two week medical project in Chitwan Nepal with Projects Abroad. Although it was a short stay compared to some other volunteers there, I was still able to learn and see a lot - both culturally and medically. I went on the project by myself and was at first concerned by that fact. When I got to Chitwan there were seven other volunteers that were be there the whole time I was. Although I lived at my host family’s house alone, I was with the other volunteers while we were working and shadowing in the hospital and afterward we would do group activities together. Projects Abroad had activities for us to all do together such as volunteering at the local homeless shelter, swimming, and Momo making. Volunteering with Projects Abroad was a great experience and thanks to them I made some wonderful friends that I still keep in touch with.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review July 29, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Hi Michelle! It's great to hear you had such a wonderful experience doing your project! Making friends is an important aspect of going abroad, so we are glad yo hear you are planning on staying in touch with them! Thank you for trusting us!

Amazing Experience

Making the decision to do my summer nursing internship through Projects Abroad was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The staff was so amazing and supportive, even before I even arrived in the country. They did so much to ensure I was feeling comfortable and prepared in every way before taking off on my trip. I had never traveled outside of my country prior to this, so I had countless questions - most of which were probably silly and over-paranoid. Each and every one, however, was answered quickly and thoroughly, making me feel so much better about taking off to the opposite side of the world.
Arriving in Kathmandu, I was faced with all of the shocks of a new country, alone in the night. Projects Abroad, however, had everything organized to make sure I got situated safely and smoothly, and helped me along every step of the way - from arranging someone to pick me up at the airport, organize my first night in a hotel, a staff member accompanying me on my 6 hour bus ride from Kathmandu to Bharatpur, giving me a tour of the city I'd be living in, getting me a local phone so I could contact them (and they could contact me), and everything in between. Once down in Bharatpur, where I would be living and working for my 4 week project, we had four full time staff supporting us at all times. They were so amazing, making sure we were feeling comfortable, healthy, had everything we needed, were getting everything we expected, and so much more.
The internship itself had us placed in Chitwan Medical College and Teaching Hospital. Each week we would meet up with the staff and pick a department we wanted to spend the following week in, a task that proved to be quite difficult, as there were so many department options that we could pick from. We got to observe and assist in minor tasks, while learning from the doctors and nurses that you get to know quite well by the end of your week in the department.
Because I arrived relatively soon after the devastating earthquake struck Nepal, we spent our first 3 weeks living in a hotel very close by the hospital, Hotel Global, then moved to host families for my final week. Getting to spend time and really get to know how locals lived when with the host family was such an amazing part of my trip. In both locations, we were provided all meals we were home for (which were always delicious).
On weekends, Projects Abroad would organize trips to the various sites of Nepal for all of us, depending on where we wanted to go each week. It was so great, having everything organized for us, from bus rides, to reliable hotels once we arrived to wherever we were traveling. Weekend trips were also an amazing way to bond with the other volunteers, who you become great friends with by the end of your trip.
My 4 weeks on the Nursing Project were so amazing, and Projects Abroad helped make it run so smoothly and helped me make the most of my time down there. They really care so much about you while you're working with them, and I truly have nothing but good things to say about them. I very highly recommend them to anyone looking to do an internship, volunteer, or do any sort of trip abroad.

The International Volunteer Programs Association