Projects Abroad Header Image Projects Abroad Header Image

Learn Quechua in Peru with Projects Abroad

• The Campus

Quechu-what?: Experiencing Peru

I loved my time with Projects Abroad. There were a few hiccups and challenges, but the experience was wonderful. I lived in a small town outside of Qosqo, Peru. The big city was accessible, and I visited it a few times when I didn’t have class. My Quechua classes were good overall. However, my teacher was infrequent, and my classes were never regular until the last week or so. He never gave me a schedule or even called before the first class. In fact, he more or less appeared at my door one Sunday. Despite this weirdness, I learned a large amount of Quechua. By the end of my period there, a mere three weeks, I could speak with locals in small conversations and could shop in the local market.

When I had issues with my teacher, the Projects Abroad staffers were helpful. Though it was difficult to contact them initially, it was useful to speak with them when we finally met. After a discussion and little more help from the office, my classes resumed at a regular time (though early at 7 AM). The employees were quite friendly and understanding. I didn’t have to contact them anymore after my little ordeal. The host family they chose for me was sweet even if a little overprotective. My housemate, host family, and I all enjoyed each other’s company. They spoke only Spanish with the exception of my host mom who spoke Quechua with me too. It was a wonderful experience and very useful to have a Quechua resource in the house.

However, the greatest part of my experience was the other volunteers that came from all over the world. I had a great French expatriate/ Canadian resident housemate, and I grew very close to the other Project Abroaders in my town as well. We hung out, enjoyed the Internet in the cafés, and celebrated the big festival and events together. They were also very supportive especially when my schedule was a little undetermined. The first few days, I didn’t know anyone there. When I met the others, my time instantly improved. They really made my experience special.

The International Volunteer Programs Association