Law & Human Rights Internship in Togo with Projects Abroad

Health, development and women's rights in Togo

Togo and its inhabitants stole my heart. My volunteer experience in Togo was education, rewarding, and fun. Of course, there were some difficulties mixed in there, but those are what make unique experiences such as volunteering abroad so amazing. First of all, my workplace was welcoming and motivated. All of my coworkers, all local, were focused on their jobs at the NGO and were constantly working on their respective projects. Jumping into a work environment in which you have no experience was a bit daunting and confusing at first, but Projects Abroad helped me develop a plan of action to help me be the most effective in the workplace. I, just like many other international volunteers, expected to hop on a plane, work on a few projects and visibly see the huge impact I made on a community. It does not work like this. Development happens slowly, and the change isn't really notable as it's occurring. I found this a bit difficult at first, but it ended up motivating me to do as much as possible during my six weeks there. I think this is important to note as I noticed other volunteers struggled with this reality as well, but we ARE making a difference in the long run.

Projects Abroad also led me develop strong friendships with the other international volunteers in Togo. We had several organized activities each week in which we could eat, drink, laugh, and vent. Having a support system behind us throughout our stays in Togo was extremely helpful, and it was nice to have a touch of our familiar Western culture every now and again. It made it much easier to not get overwhelmed with the extreme change of lifestyle. I also became close friends with my co-workers and host family. When volunteering abroad, get used to being asked "Why don't you just stay?" You'll probably even consider it a few times. Overall, my experience volunteering with Projects Abroad was entirely worth my time and money as I felt safe and secure during my entire stay abroad as a 17 year old girl. I would definitely recommend Projects Abroad if you're looking to make a difference!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review December 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Hi Victoria! Thank you for sharing your experience! Indeed, the impact that volunteers such as yourself have in the community may not be noticeable right away, but your effort and help is very much appreciated by the community in which you serve, and it plays an important role in the big picture. It seems like you really took advantage of your volunteering experience as a whole, and that's what it's all about!

The International Volunteer Programs Association