Projects Abroad Header Image Projects Abroad Header Image

Human Rights Work in South Africa with Projects Abroad

Experience of a lifetime

I spent 5 weeks in Cape Town, South Africa during the summer of 2015. These were 5 of the best weeks of my life.

My host family was amazing. My host mother was a sweetheart. She cooked me dinner every week night, had a packed lunch ready and waiting for me to take to work in the morning, and she even did my laundry! I felt so safe and welcome with the family that Projects Abroad placed me with. I even still stay in touch with host mother and sister through Facebook!

The work at the Projects Abroad Human Rights Office is split into two parts: legal and social justice. On the legal side, you act as a volunteer legal assistant. Meaning you research case study, conduct consultation with appropriate clients and businesses, and even possibly visit the courts or jails in the area. I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to be part of a serious criminal case and was able to visit the notorious Pollsmoor Prison. The social justice side is more laid back. You are able to plan and teach life skills classes to juveniles in local detention centers.

The overall atmosphere of the office was incredible. I got to meet and work with students and professionals from all over the world. Many of the friends I met at PAHRO I still stay in touch with today. My experience in Cape Town was something I will take with me forever.

The International Volunteer Programs Association