Human Rights in Argentina with Projects Abroad

Incredible Trip

I could not have asked for a better experience volunteering in Argentina with Projects Abroad. I have traveled internationally before doing volunteer work and this was by far the most organized company/organization I have ever been with. Everyone at the office is so helpful and will personally assist you with any issues or concerns you may have. For example, I had trouble finding an ATM that would allow me to withdraw money and one of the coordinators walked me from bank to bank to help me solve the problem.

The Law & Human Rights project is awesome! The coordinator, Vicky, is amazing! I spent 3 months working with this office and found my work diversified and challenging. I was able to work with young children and teens who were living in government institutions, along with the homeless, incarcerated youth, and victims of all sorts of human rights abuses. The office staff is great at getting you plugged in, but you also have to be willing to dive in head first! I worked long days, at least 8 hours but the staff is so understanding and easy to communicate with about work and personal issues.

My host mom was great! I must admit I had some concerns regarding a host family but it turned out better than I could have hoped. I was assigned a roommate and I am so grateful! I made friends with other volunteers and was able to see some of their homes as well, and I can say that all of the host homes I saw were very clean and the families were so friendly! The office is great about planning social events so that you can meet other volunteers - one week they do a social and the other they do a community day where volunteers get together and...volunteer! This is an awesome way to meet volunteers from other projects outside of Law & Human Rights.

Would do it again!

Traveling through Projects Abroad's high school program to Argentina for two weeks seemed like a pretty daunting experience but it ended up being one of my most amazing memories! I met truly life long friends, and although some parts weren't as amazing as I thought (such as some awkward encounters with me and my roommates host family, or a lack of freedom) the positives of this trip are so much greater.
The staff was overall very kind and extremely helpful. Since I speak fluent Spanish, I did not want to be part of the Spanish lessons that were held daily, and was extremely grateful when the coordinator Vicky allowed me to help alongside her with their project on homelessness. It was a lot of fun and made me feel truly helpful. By working alongside a couple Argentinian organizations, my Law and Human Rights group and I cooked for the homeless, visited girls' institutions, and organized a campaign on Pedophilia. Moreover, we took part in an extremely fun mock trial and were part of social events about twice a week, as well as a really fun excursion to another part of Argentina about two hours away.
I am extremely glad to have been part of such a fun organization, and I truly believe that through Projects Abroad I was able to make a positive impact on our world.

The International Volunteer Programs Association