Projects Abroad Header Image Projects Abroad Header Image

Himalayan Mountain Conservation in Nepal - Projects Abroad

Life and Volunteering in the Beautiful Annapurna Region of Nepal

The two months I spent at the Himalayan Conservation Program in Ghandruk, Nepal were easily the best and most memorable two months of my entire life. The peaceful village of Ghandruk is breathtaking and brimming with culture and beauty at every turn. We spent most of our days trekking to bird, butterfly and primate watching sites and got to know the area and neighboring villages quite well. It is a very special feeling to be recognized and greeted with smiles by locals so far from home. Many of the volunteers, like myself, had no prior experience working in conservation but thanks to the instruction of the project manager and the reptile and bird experts. Every day is a new learning opportunity at the project.
The other volunteers are really what makes this such a great experience. With out all the distractions of Western culture, we truly got the opportunity to get to know people. Most nights are spent drinking tea, telling stories and playing card with each other. It truly becomes a family. Nepal is rich in culture and there is never a scarcity of weekend activities. From visiting temples and holy sites within the village to weekend tripping down to Pokhara, we were never bored. I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Projects Abroad and my time in Nepal.

The International Volunteer Programs Association