Child Care in Cambodia with Projects Abroad

Volunteering in Cambodia - High School Special

For my high school senior project we have to do or learn something we've never done before, so I thought, why not do something I've always wanted to do and that is volunteer in another country. I was with the care and community - high school special for 2 weeks in December 2015. I'm 17 years old, never flown by myself, and have never been out of the country, so all of this was new to me and I was learning along the way. I arrived in Phnom Penh late at night and I could already feel I was getting culture shock. But right away I found a Projects Abroad staff member and they took me to my hotel. I met the rest of the volunteers the next day and we all got along great. There were 13 of us from ages 16-19 and we were from 4 different countries. We stayed at a hotel for the 2 weeks and it was much more than I had expected. The rooms were a little small, but it was all worth the experience.
For our project we worked in a daycare center and a kindergarten. I felt safe the entire time in Cambodia. The staff definitely made me feel at home when I started getting homesick and culture shock. I wouldn't have changed a thing about my trip and experience! Everyone and everything made my whole experience one to remember!

The Summer Of My Life

The summer of 2014 I participated in the High School Special program in Cambodia for Care & Community. I am from a small town in California and I have always loved to travel to new places. During my two weeks I worked with nine other volunteers at a day care center for children 3-6 years old. As soon as I even thought about doing something like this Projects Abroad was beyond helpful. After talking back and forth with some staff and attending an online information session my parents happily put me on a plane to Cambodia. I never felt nervous or unsafe during my trip. As soon as I stepped off the plane I was met with a staff member and a car to transport me to my placement house. It was all very easy which I appreciated. I stayed in an apartment with the other volunteers and the project supervisors. My supervisor was outstanding. She was very friendly and had answers to any and all of my questions. We were constructing a garden and a playground at the daycare, which was something I had never done before. Any of my concerns washed away as soon as we got there. We arrived to two friendly staff members who had all the tools necessary and the guidance we needed. Throughout my time there Projects Abroad organized different activities where we experienced Cambodia. We traveled to Angkor Wat to visit the ancient temples, we toured S-21 and the Killing Fields to learn about the country’s history, and we went out to eat at local restaurants. I made lifelong friends with the other volunteers during my trip and I am planning on doing another volunteer abroad experience with this company. The staff at Projects Abroad are all very impressive and on top of every detail. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to volunteer abroad. Volunteering abroad, helping underprivileged children, meeting so many different people, and getting to see the world are just a few of the wonderful opportunities Projects Abroad provides you with. I will always remember my time in Cambodia!!

The International Volunteer Programs Association