Care Work with Children in Costa Rica with Projects Abroad

Eye Opening Experience

For me, volunteering with children in Costa Rica strengthened my professional, leadership, and language skills. It also allowed me to learn and grow as a person by living in a new culture for two weeks. Although, volunteering with children is not only for future teachers but it is for anyone who has the desire to help change the world. My experience was a once in a lifetime experience and I loved every minute of it. The teachers and children were very appreciative which made my time well worth it.

My host family was absolutely amazing. I never felt inferior because I am not fluent in the language and they were truly welcoming from the first minute I was greeted with a "hola". I was given a true taste of Costa Rican life from religious ceremonies to daily cuisines to typical days and nights with my host siblings, cousins, and other international students.

Projects Abroad was so helpful and supportive. We had a translator/assistant during every hour we spent volunteering. The entire team of Projects Abroad maintained rapport with our entire group from months before our trip to the final "adios" upon boarding the plane. Most importantly, I never felt unsafe!

Unforgettable Experience in Costa Rica

Whether you have traveled abroad before or not, this trip is an amazing experience for all! The Projects Abroad staff is incredibly helpful, friendly, accommodating, and will ease you into your stay in Costa Rica. The host family was just as accommodating and they ultimately became a permanent part of my family. This was the first time that I have ever traveled abroad alone, and I felt comfortable and secure the entire time. Not only is the country absolutely beautiful, but so are the people. I only spent two weeks in the country, and wish I could have stayed longer. I worked in a daycare for the two weeks and have never felt so loved and appreciated before. Even though there was a language barrier, as I spoke no Spanish, the kids (infants to age 7) were still incredibly happy and excited to work with me. Furthermore, as a teacher in America, I worked with the staff and taught them some activities to implement with the children. I worked with other volunteers to create calendars, posters, and weather charts for the daycare center as well. We also spent a lot of our time reading books to and playing with the children. Overall, both the children and the staff were thankful and appreciative of everything we provided for them. The days were extremely tiring and exhausting, but I loved every minute of it. The Projects Abroad staff even helped to plan leisure activities for us, like zip-lining, dinners, hiking to a volcano, dance lessons, and visiting Manuel Antonio national park. As a whole, I would recommend this trip to anyone who loves to explore and work with children. It is an incredibly experience and everyone will learn something from it.

Child Care for Two Weeks.

It is hard to put a price on an experience that will 1) forever change you and 2) continuously help you in life. That is what Projects Abroad gave me. I went to Liberia, Costa Rica when I was 18 years old, I am now 23, and this opportunity has continued to follow me!
The program Projects Abroad was well placed and I was with someone most of the way there. I was picked up at the airport by a staff member and driven to the buss station where I was handed off to a close family friend who would be going the same route as me. Once I arrived in Liberia another representative was at the station to drive me to my host families home. I was able to walk to the school I would work at as well as any stores that I may have wanted to go to.
The teacher I was shadowing would hang out with me and show me around. I also made friends with a local church group in the town square are started spending my free evenings with them once they came to my host family and introduced themselves.
I am now the Child Care Assistant Director at a local YWCA and provide Respite care to children in need in my community and while Projects Abroad may seem unrelated it gave me the chance to hone my skills at adapting to different people and situations both culturally and personally different than myself. To have been able to go to a different country where I didn’t know the language, the exact currency change, or some of the major customs and leave with a deeper understanding of both world that I am both apart of as well as the world I had only read about was a truly life changing experience. I had more growth as a person and human being in two weeks than I ever thought possible. Even now I am able to reflect back on that time and center myself as an adult in this moment. To be able to use a memory from five years ago to help me focus my current ambitions and goals is truly profound.
To anyone who wants a unique, life altering and exhilarating life experience look no further than Projects Abroad.

Life IS what YOU MAKE of it. Make it an experience that will last you a 1,000 life times.

Daycare Facility in Heredia

Costa Rica was incredible. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience! The main purpose behind my trip was to teach in the school. I had a very young age group so I did more caring than teaching. Although this was the case I still really enjoyed myself. I actually had the privilege of painting a classroom, which was a lot of work but when it was finished it looked awesome. Besides teaching in the classroom I was able to do a variety of other things. One of my favorites was the beach. It was absolutely incredible! The water was clear and the sand was white and warm. But the best part was the walk through the rainforest to get there. There were monkeys and sloths and raccoons. It was so cool to see these different animals. There is so much more I would love to tell you about my experience but what I will say is that if you are thinking about traveling I recommend it 100%!

Life Changing Experience

After graduating from college, I realized I no longer wanted to do what I went to school for. I had moved back home, was not sure what was next, and needed some inspiration. After talking to a friend that just came home from a volunteer trip in Bolivia, I knew I was interested. Within a month I was talking with Projects Abroad about going to Costa Rica for 4 weeks. I decided to volunteer in Care since I was always good with children and still was not sure exactly what I wanted to do "with my life".
Projects Abroad provided me with all of the details I needed prior to departure, and arranged for someone to greet me at the airport and show me to my host family and new home. The process was seamless and relaxed, and I did not have to worry about a thing due to Projects Abroad staff and their organization.
My host family was amazing, very kind, and very interested in me and making my stay memorable. I attended family gatherings with them, went for nightly walks around the neighborhood, and took local trips to the pool with them. Projects Abroad also offered social excursions with fellow volunteers, but left it up to us to decide how much involvement they played in our experience. We did movie outings and workshops, but I was also able to take out of town trips on my own with other friends.
My placement was heartwarming and very rewarding. Volunteering in a government run care center was sad at times, but I could tell my fellow coworkers and the children were genuinely happy to have us there. They looked up to us and appreciated all of our help, involving us completely in the center's daily routine. I spent special one on one time with two young children, a 6 month old and a 2 year old with autism, who did not want to walk, eat, talk, or play with others when I got there. By the time I left I was able to get her motivated to walk on her own and she even began giggling and playing with me and the other children. Seeing the simple smile on her face made the entire trip worth it and incredibly rewarding.
I owe the now amazing direction my life is heading in all to that first step I took with Projects Abroad. They support you from day one and all you to decide what your experience will entail. I am forever grateful for this volunteer experience and this wonderful company that helped me do it!

Wonderful and Eye Opening Experience

My study abroad/volunteer experience in Costa Rica through Projects Abroad was everything and more than I expected. My entire group had a positive experience that helped us grow not only on a personal level, but also professionally as future educators. Going into this experience I was a little hesitant about what we were going to be doing, which was taken away as soon as I got in contact with the Projects Abroad staff. They are very helpful and interested in making sure all of your needs are met. I received several phone calls before I left for my trip asking me if I had any questions and if there was anything they could help me with before I left. It helped ease my mind and made my first trip away from home comfortable and relaxing.

Upon arriving in Costa Rica, we were met by the staff that we would be working with who brought us to our host families and made sure we settled in nicely. The guide we worked with for the majority of our stay was amazing and very supportive. He made sure we had everything we needed, and went above and beyond what he needed to get it for us. In addition, he was great in helping us sort out our language barrier and make sure we were never lost or felt uncomfortable with our surroundings. He was with us every step of the way, and when he was unable to make it to an event due to having to attend class, he made sure that we had another guide who was equally as supportive and helpful. The entire staff in Costa Rica was friendly and amazing!

Our host families were also great! They were very accommodating and opened their home to us with open arms. They made it feel as though it was also our home and that we were a part of their family. Our volunteer placement was also a great place for us. The staff was very excited to have us and listened to what we had to offer. They had questions and really seemed to be happy to see us everyday. In addition, I learned a lot from them and was able to take the experience and grow from it.

Overall, I think this was a great opportunity and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a chance to volunteer in Costa Rica.

The International Volunteer Programs Association