Care Work in Vietnam with Projects Abroad

Care Project at the Vietnam Friendship Village

I truly enjoyed my eight weeks of volunteering in Vietnam through Projects Abroad. One of the reasons I wanted to go and volunteer abroad was to make a meaningful impact in the world, and Projects Abroad was able to provide me that opportunity. Although I was nervous and anxious to begin this new adventure, I could not be more satisfied with my placement and the work I did this summer. My care project took place at the Vietnam Friendship Village, a live-in rehabilitation center for Vietnam war veterans and victims of Agent Orange. Most care project volunteers teach and plan classroom activities, but Projects Abroad was happy to help me include a medical component in my project because of my pre-med studies. While my mornings were spent teaching English and playing games in the classroom, I spent my afternoons as a physiotherapy assistant which I absolutely loved. Although I think there could have been a little bit more structure to the program at the Friendship Village, I loved how the flexibility allowed me to take initiative and plan my own activities. All of the people at my placement were super friendly and easy to approach, and the kids I worked with were incredibly happy to just have me around.

Although this was my first time working with disabled persons, the local Projects Abroad staff in Vietnam were very helpful. They held several care workshops and gave me several resources to help me better adapt to working with disabled children. Whether it was giving advice on a work-related issue or recommending restaurants and sights to see, the local Projects Abroad staff was always happy to help! More importantly, when I suddenly became ill during the beginning of my stay, a Projects Abroad staff member was quick to accompany me to the hospital and make sure that I was okay. Had I been volunteering with other organizations, I'm not sure I would have had the same safety and security. In addition, the volunteer house was large, clean, and comfortable, and the cook was absolutely amazing at her job. If there was one thing I would have liked to change about my trip with Projects Abroad, it would be its length; eight weeks just went by way too quickly!!

The International Volunteer Programs Association