Projects Abroad Header Image Projects Abroad Header Image

Care Work in Senegal with Projects Abroad

One of the best experiences of my life!

My volunteer experience in Senegal from July-October 2011 with Projects Abroad was absolutely incredible. I was supported by the organization's staff from the day I first made contact with them, and have felt that contact through this day-- even after my experience has ended.
I reviewed several organizations before making the choice to volunteer with P.A., and I would not have changed one thing about my decision. Through Projects Abroad, I found the perfect balance of support and independence, which is exactly what I was looking for in an organization. I didn't feel confined or overly directed while in Senegal, but someone was always there to help me if I needed assistance. The desk officer, social manager, and on-site staff were available 24/7, which is certainly a comfort to many individuals who volunteer in a foreign country.
The excursions and social activities allowed for the chance to get to know other volunteers, and the projects themselves were extremely fulfilling and enlightening. Most of all, the structure of the program allowed for true immersion into the local culture. This is a vital element for volunteers to gain as much as possible from an experience while giving back to the residents of the community in which they work. My Senegalese family was fantastic and I came to think of its members as my very own.
The time I spent in Senegal genuinely changed my life, and Projects Abroad made that possible.

I felt safer in Saint-Louis and other parts of Senegal and surrounding countries than I do in many places in the United States.

Social Life:
Projects Abroad coordinates many social activities, and there was plenty of time for individuals to form friendships with other volunteers and even local people to make plans for themselves.

The International Volunteer Programs Association