Care Work in Morocco with Projects Abroad

Incredible Two Weeks in Morocco

Over the summer, I went on a two-week high school special trip to Rabat, Morocco, with Projects Abroad. I can say with no exaggeration that those were two of the best weeks of my life.
To start off, Projects Abroad is extremely well organized. Throughout my trip, the staff supported me from the moment I stepped off the plane to the moment I boarded my flight home. They made everything easy, including transportation, exchanging money, getting a Moroccan sim card, and finding local cafes and wifi hotspots.
My host family was incredible. My roommate and I ate most of our meals with our host family in their big sitting room. We always looked forward to eating: our mom was an incredible cook! Breakfast usually consisted of fresh bread, jam, and a nutella-like spread, with fresh fruit as well. We usually had a late afternoon tea, and our host mom would invite her friends and family to these gatherings. We would munch on pastries and of course, mint tea, a delicious Moroccan specialty. For lunch and dinner, we usually had couscous or tagine, an incredible Moroccan dish. After dinner, we’d often partake in a game of Uno with our host brother, or would walk to local parks and cafes with our host sister. There was never a dull moment at home.
The volunteer placement was extremely enjoyable, and I felt like I was really helping the children I worked with. We worked at a care center in Salé, which was a type of summer camp for underprivileged children. We spent half the day working with the children, who ranged in age from four to sixteen. We played games with them, did arts and crafts, held sports tournaments, and even taught them some English. The children were energetic, positive, and eager to learn: overall a joy to work with. The other half of the day we spent working on small projects around the facility. We cleaned up the center’s gardens, built some concrete benches, and painted a mural. After we left, the center looked better than ever.
I made some lifelong friends on the trip: the other volunteers were amazing, interesting people who came from all over the world. Together (and with the help of the Projects Abroad staff), we explored the medina, went shopping, drank tons and tons of tea, took night walks on the beach, and even went to a Moroccan music festival. I would recommend a Projects Abroad trip to anyone who wants to experience a new culture, improve his or her language skills, and really make a difference in the world. I’ll never forget my time in Morocco.

The International Volunteer Programs Association