Care Work in Mongolia with Projects Abroad

A wonderful journey in Mongolia

I had the most wonderful and life-changing experience with Projects Abroad, which sounds cliche but is completely genuine. They staff supported me more than I could have ever hoped for and assisted me in adapting to a different culture and standard of living. Even though I'm still in high school, I desperately wanted to do a care project and there was no high school special at the time I intended to go. So, I participated in a standard care project. I was a little apprehensive because I knew there would be less support from staff and I would be required to be much more independent. However, Zulaa helped me so much in my adjustment and the first day I was in Ulaanbaatar she took me around and showed me which buses to take. Throughout my trip, she organized events with other volunteers and helped me truly learn about Mongolian culture. She also helped me set up my cell phone so I could text and take phone calls in Mongolia.
Besides the large amount of support from the Projects Abroad team, my home stay and volunteer experience was fabulous. My family was so kind and informative. The parents didn't know English but their three children all knew English and were able to bridge the language gap between me and their parents. I had my own room and lots of privacy while also being able to participate in traditional Mongolian games and eat family dinners with them. The father in the family ran a sightseeing business and took me and one other volunteer on an amazing trip to Terelj National Park with the whole family. I rode a camel for the first time and we all had a picnic together in a meadow amid yaks and cows. I volunteered at an orphanage a ten minute walk from my apartment and worked with the youngest children there. My job consisted mostly of feeding the babies, taking them into the sun, and playing with them in their rooms. I slowly grew accustomed to Mongolian names and formed real connections with the babies, connections I won't ever forget. I also realized my volunteering was needed because there would be days when the orphanage was short on nurses and I was required to fill in. Projects Abroad not only set me up with a great organization but also offered other volunteer projects after work. I helped work at a ger district community teaching English and playing sports with the children. I cannot thank Projects Abroad enough for helping me survive my first volunteering trip abroad and make it the best experience of my life. I suggest Projects Abroad to anyone wanting an exciting and truly life-changing volunteering trip.

• Projects Abroad responded to this review July 15, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Hi Jill! It's amazing to hear you had such a fulfilling experience doing your Care project in Mongolia! I am glad we were able to find the right project for you at the time you wanted to do it. I am sure your host family and the children you cared for will always remember you as well! Thanks for your trust!

My orphanage work in Mongolia

I had an amazing time working in Mongolia through Projects Abroad! It was the most amazing experience of my life so far. I worked in a clinical orphanage for four weeks, and I had regular contact with the Projects Abroad staff in the area who helped me in adjusting to my home and work life. My host family was extremely friendly, and they always wanted to show me around and were always willing to answer my questions and tell me about their culture. Projects Abroad always had at least one activity with all the volunteers per week, and being able to interact with other volunteers regularly made the experience even better! I met volunteers from all over the world and I was able to learn almost as much about their different cultures as I did about Mongolian culture.
I will always love and miss the people and culture of Mongolia. It was a beautiful place full of some of the kindest people I have ever met. I absolutely fell in love with the kids I took care of, and I'll always remember them. I definitely recommend Projects Abroad to anyone who wants to volunteer abroad and have a life changing experience!

• Projects Abroad responded to this review September 07, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Hi Isobel! We are glad you had such a wonderful experience volunteering in Mongolia! It is indeed a beautiful country with a very rich culture so it's great that you had the opportunity to experience it and share it with other volunteers from the rest of the world! Having a friendly and safe host family is definitely one of our priorities so thanks for sharing. Thank you once again on behalf of all the kids in the orphanage you were able to help out!

The International Volunteer Programs Association