Care Work in Mexico with Projects Abroad

5 weeks in a Guadalajara nursery (The time of my life!)

When I began searching for a volunteering abroad program, I had three requirements: economical, flexible, and able to accommodate minors (I'm only 16!). After searching the Internet's many possibilities, Projects Abroad was the only organization able to offer me all three, and I am so thankful that I decided to go with them. I volunteered for 5 weeks in the city of Guadalajara, where I worked 5 days a week in a nursery, feeding, caring for, and teaching infants and toddlers. I brought with me a full suitcase of teaching materials, and that was crucial for me to implement and really make a lasting difference in the poor nursery where I volunteered. Projects Abroad did an excellent job of setting up the appropriate volunteer placement for me, because once I told them of my interest in working with children and my past experience, they organized this optimum placement that exceeded my expectations. I also was able to work at a summer camp for older children during one week, in which I was an English teacher. It was so rewarding to see how the kids were able to speak a basic English conversation at the end of the week all because of the instruction taught by myself and a fellow volunteer!

The living accommodations were really impeccable, and the host families are so welcoming that you won't even get homesick! I really bonded with my family, an older couple, who I conversed with over meals and got to spend time with on the weekends. It was an awesome way to immerse myself in the beautiful Mexican culture, and I felt so comfortable walking around my poor, but welcoming "colonia," or neighborhood. Further, the other volunteers became lifelong friends of mine, especially my roommate, who lives halfway across the world in Europe, and only Projects Abroad would have made it possible for me to make so many friends from around the world.

As for the staff, they were especially supportive of me because I was one of the youngest ever volunteers to participate in the program. When I was sick, they instantly called me and checked in, and every staff member was kind, bilingual, and made the trip such a fun, safe experience. With weekly check-ins and organization-wide events, I had lots of communication with the staff and it was always really positive. I would, without a doubt, recommend Projects Abroad if you are considering volunteering abroad, because it has so many locations, so many different options, and such flexibility while giving volunteers a very authentic experience within the country. Note that I am only 16, and my parents were so incredibly apprehensive in leaving me in a foreign country alone; however, Projects Abroad reassured my family from the very first day with the organization and support of the program.

The International Volunteer Programs Association