Care Work in Kenya with Projects Abroad

Four life-changing weeks in Kenya

For years I had been eyeing up the Projects Abroad website, in hopes of gaining the courage to take part in one of their projects. In the summer of 2016 I finally made the decision to participate in a Kenya Care Project for four weeks, and I can confidently say it was the best decision of my life. When I first arrived at the airport in Nairobi I was greeted by two staff members who took me to a pleasant, nearby hotel for the evening. The next morning we departed for Nanyuki, a small market town about 3 hours north where I'd be staying and working.
The first place I was taken to when I arrived in town was to meet my host family. Since I had never stayed with a host family before, I was certainly nervous. However, the nerves subsides almost immediately. My host family was so loving, welcoming, fun, and just all around amazing people. I was provided with great living accommodations and plenty of food the entire duration of my trip.
I was required to volunteer at my placement during the five weekdays, and would on occasion (usually once a week) get to partake in a special outreach program at a different site. My placement was a home for children with disabilities ranging from 5-16 years old. The children resided, attended school, and received rehabilitation at the facility. I was able to help in the classroom with tutoring and teaching English, and also helped in Occupational therapy with activities and mobility. The staff was incredibly friendly and welcoming, and I could tell they appreciated any assistance I was able to give them.
While in Kenya I had plenty of free time to explore, socialize, and relax. In the evenings, myself and other volunteers would do an array of things such as hang out in the Projects Abroad office in town, relax at a coffee shop, or go shopping. On the weekends we would often times go on excursions outside of town. I went on a day-long safari, visited a nearby animal orphanage, and traveled back down to Nairobi to shop in the markets. Other volunteers also hiked at Mount Kenya, or even flew to Mombasa for a few days. The possibilities are endless when staying in Nanyuki, and everyone can find some sort of adventure that peeks their interest.
All in all, I cannot imagine my life having not gone to Kenya through Projects Abroad. The people I met, the places I saw, and some of the challenges I faced while there have changed me for the better. I highly recommend taking advantage of any opportunity you have to travel through this organization; I know I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The International Volunteer Programs Association