Projects Abroad Header Image Projects Abroad Header Image

Care Work in Ghana with Projects Abroad

Care in Ghana

This past June I went to Ghana with Projects Abroad. I researched a few companies and chose Projects Abroad due to the price and reviews that I read. I am happy I selected this program for my big trip. There was a staff member helping me from the moment I signed up for the program until I arrived safely back at home. I knew that if I had a question about anything that they were available to me. The steps on the website were very clear and helpful in getting my Visa, application, the vaccinations needed, and packing for my trip. When I arrived in Ghana, I had staff waiting for me at the airport who took me directly to my host family after showing me around the city I would be living in, helping me exchange currency, showing me how to use public transportation, and much more. The staff members were so personable I felt safe and welcomed during my entire stay. I was homesick for a few days and the staff members tremendously helped me through it by taking me on different adventures, meeting up with me, and simply just listening to me. Going to a different country all alone sounds terrifying yet exciting but the staff at Projects Abroad truly made the experience a positive one for me through their support.

I had one concern with the program. I signed up for Care but found myself in a teaching environment. I am not educated in teaching children and felt somewhat unprepared for the position. They were willing to assign me to different schools and care centers but most of the Care assignments are mainly teaching which I wish I would have known going into it.

However, I would recommend this organization to anyone-- first time travelers and even experienced travelers!

The International Volunteer Programs Association