Alternative Spring Break Trips with Projects Abroad

Incredible experience!

This past spring, I participated in the Care Project in Heredia, Costa Rica. I had an incredible experience throughout the week I was there. The Projects Abroad staff was friendly from the get-go and they provided an immense amount of help and support along the way. From the rides to/from the airport, the tour of the city, and the pleasant living experience, I would recommend Projects Abroad to anyone interested in studying abroad. As long as you are willing to immerse yourself in the foreign culture and experience, you are guaranteed a great time!

Medical Service in Ghana

This past spring break, I had the opportunity to spend a week in Cape Coast, Ghana and provide medical services to the local communities. I was very nervous before travelling to Ghana, but the staff prepared me well for my trip. Prior to travelling to Ghana, I spoke on the phone with three staff members. They informed me of all the details of the trip and were thorough in answering my questions. They always kept me informed of information that I needed to know. When I arrived in Ghana, the staff members made sure to make me feel welcomed. If we had any problems, they were always there to help. On the last night, a number of staff members took us out to local “hang out” spots where they introduced us to their friends and other colleagues. They made us feel like we had been friends for longer than a couple of days. In addition to wonderful staff, the homestay family was loving and generous. They entire family welcomed us with opened arms and did everything they could to make sure that we felt comfortable in the household. I had a wonderful time getting to know my family and I still remain in contact with them

In addition to having a wonderful time, I become very good friends with the other volunteers. They had the same passion as I: wanting to provide medical care to those who didn’t have easy accessibility to care. It has been two months since I have been in Ghana and I still remain in contact with my fellow volunteers. I even attended one of their graduations from college – the other volunteers on this program are wonderful being dedicated individuals wanting to provide medical care.

Overall, I truly enjoyed my time in Ghana. I highly recommend working with ProjectsAbroad and I plan on travelling with them again in the future.

Spring Break 2015 Jamaica

I had an incredible experience this year in Jamaica. I had stumbled upon Projects Abroad through a couple of friends (one who went to Jamaica). I was looking for something to do during my last spring break as an undergraduate, and I knew I wanted to do something meaningful, different, new, and adventurous. I was placed on a building project in Mandeville, Jamaica, along with some other students from around the country. It was so great to meet new people from other schools and Jamaicans. We all worked very hard to start the foundation to build a bathroom for a primary school in rural Mandeville. A lot was accomplished and we had fun too. My host mother was incredible and made the best Jamaican food! She and her family were so kind to all of us staying at the house and shared a lot about the Jamaican culture with us. I felt like I had another family. Overall, I had the best spring break of my life, learned a lot of new things, was introduced to a new culture, and helped a cause. I would do Projects Abroad again in a heartbeat!

Jamaica!

Projects Abroad is an amazing organization to work with! They are very organized and easy to contact with any questions. I signed up for the trip very last minute, they were more than happy to rush the process of signing up and very welcoming. They provide more than enough information to help you with your planning concerning your flight and such. Not only is the organization great as a whole, but the staff in Jamaica was absolutely outstanding!
They provided me with a very nice host family with a gorgeous home. They set up transportation to and from my volunteer placement and planned many fun activities! They were personable and helped us to understand the culture in Jamaica better. They allowed appropriate free time and social life while visiting.
I was part of the care project while in Jamaica along with about 8 other girls. We volunteered at an orphanage for children with special needs in the morning then a school of arts institute in the afternoon. The volunteer experience was breath taking, i learned endless lessons and it was a trip of a life-time. If i had the chance to go to Jamaica with this organization again, i would take it in a heart beat! This was one of the best experiences of my life thus far! I highly recommend this organization as well as this specific location and care project!
Good Luck with your travels!

Jamaican Care Project

This last spring break i participated in the care project in Jamaica. My group and i volunteered at a local orphanage for special needs and a school of arts institute. I had the trip of a lifetime and i would go again in a heart beat! The organization Projects Abroad was amazing! I only signed up for the trip a month in a half before, which is very last minute, and they were very welcoming and accepting. They had no problem getting the process going so i was able to travel. They were very easy to talk to and ask questions and also easy to get a hold of. They organized my trip outstandingly! They had great living conditions for me in Jamaica, fun activities planned, great staff to help me in Jamaica and overall made my trip an experience of a lifetime! I would recommend this organization for any volunteering abroad trips, they are very helpful and the cost is about average with other organizations.

Public Health in Mexico

I travelled to Guadalajara, Mexico for a week. We met local doctors and provided basic health assessments in various community settings. We were able to shadow at one of the hospitals and I learned so much about public health! I was consistently in contact with PA staff while in Mexico and never travelled alone. The staff was wonderful and super accommodating. I felt safe the entire time I was there and with my host family. PA ensured my stay was pleasant and worth every penny. For only a week and the amount I spent to be there, this was one of the best trips. I highly recommend Projects Abroad!

Well worth it.

Projects Abroad is very very good at what they do. I had an amazing trip where I experienced Morocco and felt like I was helping these kids. At first, I was hesitant to choose this location because of safety concerns; however, I felt very safe the entire time I was there. My host family and program coordinators were amazing and very sensitive to my needs and wants for the program. I wish I had the opportunity to stay longer in Morocco!

Exploring a new country while making a difference

I did one of the Alternative Spring Break trips this past March where I volunteered in Mandeville, Jamaica at an orphanage for children with special needs as well as a school in need of some painting. Over all, I had an amazing trip. Mornings were spent at the orphanage where we played and sang with the children as well as helped out with laundry, cleaning and meal time. Then we would head over to a school where we helped paint a classroom. After, we were free to explore and do as we please. My host family was incredibly welcoming and accommodating. ProjectsAbroad's Mandeville staff did a great job at making sure we were safe, comfortable and happy. They were always available to chat if we needed advice (both before and during the trip) and also organized amazing events for us like our fruit tasting, waterfall trip and reggae dance class! It was hard to leave after only a week but if given the opportunity again, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Volunteering in Costa Rica

I really enjoyed volunteering through Projects Abroad. From the very start, I was given very specific and clear instructions on how to prepare for my trip. I was confident that I could always get in touch with a staff member and receive the proper assistance. Once I actually arrived in Costa Rica, I had a great time. I enjoyed having the opportunity to live with a host family, which came with many benefits, such as learning about Costa Rican culture, as well as being able to participate in the activities they enjoy, such as taking a Zumba class. Furthermore, I was able to live and volunteer with another volunteer, so it was nice having another person there while I was trying to figure out how to get to and from my volunteer location. As for the volunteering itself, I loved it! I worked with a classroom full of hyper 3 year olds, and while it was exhausting, it was well worth it. Intially, I was concerned that my inability to speak Spanish might be an issue, but I quickly learned other ways to communicate, such as through gestures and body language. There seemed to be a good balance between volunteering and free time. Most of the time, I was free by 4pm, giving me the chance to explore a little and/or rest early, to combat the exhaustion. My general tips for people are to be prepared for how different the climate it: I got dehydrated easily, and really had to drink a lot of water to combat that! All in all, I had a wonderful experience, and I would recommend this program.

The International Volunteer Programs Association