PINC International Header Image PINC International Header Image

8-Week Internship ~ Madrid, Spain ~ Summer 2017

My summer internship in Madrid 2016

Arriving in Madrid for the summer 2016 PINC internship program, I was both thrilled and nervous to embark on an adventure that would ultimately change my perspective, values, and the way in which I see the world. I had thoughtfully prepared for the trip, brushing up on my Spanish and packing every last necessity, but still, would never had imagined the opportunities that awaited me. Upon arrival, I was able to navigate the metro system with ease and encountered only minor hassle while attempting to find my hostel, since I decided to arrive a day earlier than the program started. The program coordinator soon eased the hassle the next morning when we met for our orientation. Lisette took us for a tour of our newfound home, but I would never have guessed just how familiar those streets would become to me. The next week in our LAE Madrid Spanish classes, we were able to receive excellent learning experiences, both in class and in cross cultural immersion activities. Admittedly, I was at first disappointed that my lack of Spanish skills could not find me a placement in the Health industry, I soon found that my internship experience would serve as a truly life changing experience. Lisette connected us with phenomenal mentors, intern managers, flat-mates, networking events, travel opportunities, and much more, providing all the tools we needed to make our experience worthwhile. I have truly learned so much from these individuals and experiences, developing my skills and wisdom. I have since shifted my perspectives and priorities, allowing me to see and develop confidence in myself and others within a global context. I now interpret my classes, interactions, and experiences with a broader sense and more understanding. Living in Spain was an incredible time, and I am so lucky to have had this opportunity! Thanks PINC <3

PINC Summer Internship 2016

All throughout my undergrad I knew I wanted to study abroad to further develop my International Business and Spanish degrees, I just couldn't seem to find the right time, place, or option. When the idea of PINC was dropped into my lap, I jumped on it. I immediately emailed Lisette, the founder and CEO, and she was extremely responsive and excited. Her dedication and excitement helped calm any nerves that I may have had during our first phone call.

From that first phone call more than six months before the program, she was easily reachable whenever I needed any question answered or any nerve calmed. When trying to decide on an internship placement for me, she knew all of the right questions to ask and really took into account all of my past experiences and my expectations for the internship. My placement ended up being perfect, and I was able to learn so much about running a small business, while also being able to use and improve my Spanish skills.

The program itself is so well put together and planned out that I truly did not need to worry about a thing. The apartment that Lisette found for us was modern, clean, and in an amazing location. The Spanish classes that we took the first week of the program at La Aventura Española were very well organized, very professional, and we were all placed in the appropriate level. The last week, Lisette offered us a series of professional development workshops, where I learned many skills that I have already incorporated into my life.

I wouldn't take back my experience for anything, and I am incredibly grateful for the connections I made and the lessons I learned.

Why wouldn't you do PINC?

I'm a person who normally is afraid of travel and adjusting to a new environment. For a whole year, the program director made herself available to me to make sure my summer with PINC would be the best time for me. She answered emails, texts, and phone calls with incredible speed in addition to taking my calls about how to choose the right internship and more. With her by my side the adjustment to living in a brand new country could not have been smoother, and myself and my parents are grateful for her hard work.

I'm so impressed by all the effort the director puts into securing us internships, beautiful housing with a prime location, in addition to just really being a role model for us as young women in business. She really gives us such a complete experience and goes above and beyond expectations for a program like this.

The school we took language courses at, La Aventura Español, has such a welcoming way of teaching. In just a short week I had such a fun time learning to converse about the world in another language. They provide opportunity to study outside the classroom as well with enjoyable field trips to practice our Spanish in the city.

Overall, I have the PINC internship program to thank for helping me explore a whole new world, live a little and DAMN has my Spanish improved.

Best Internship Experience Ever

This internship pushed me out of my comfort zone and opened so many doors for me. My first week alone I learned so many new words in my Spanish class even as a native speaker. I got to travel on the weekends to so many places thanks to how how central Madrid and Spain are. I travelled to Cuenca, Paris, Barcelona, Valencia, Dublin, Tunisia, and Ibiza. My internship was honestly the best work experience I've ever had because they understood my needs, treated me like family and I learned so much. The last week of workshops was also a big eyeopener because we got to analyze our weaknesses, strengths, and goals. Overall, this program was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Once I came back from Madrid I was able to land two internships in just one and a half week of being back home. I now work at both and I swear it wouldn't have been possible without the experience I gained this summer.

PINC Helped Me Grow (While Having a Blast!)

My trip did not start when my plane landed, or when I entered my apartment, or even on my first day in Spanish class. My trip began the first time I spoke with Lisette Miranda (Founder and CEO of PINC) via video chat for an interview about 9 months before I departed for Spain. Shaking, I was so nervous that I would not be chosen for this amazing experience. Lisette and I wound up speaking for an hour and 30 minutes that night, but we probably could have talked all night. In the months to come, she put constant effort into really getting to know and understand the women attending this trip, inside and out. Later, once all women were chosen, we had a group video chat that spring. It was so comforting feeling like I already knew everyone attending months before the trip. Afterwards, we would text each other to see when each of us were arriving, what each other were packing, what we were most excited for, etc.

Once my plane landed in Madrid, Lisette was outside the gate waiting for me with a huge welcoming smile and a warm hug. It was so great having her right there when I landed in a country I had never been to before. She spoke fluent Spanish to the driver and we were on our way to my home for the summer. The apartment was centrally located, right next to Retiro Park (the Central Park of Madrid). It was extremely safe with multiple locks, friendly neighbors, and a beautiful terrace that my roommates and I relaxed on every evening to watch the sun go down while listening to a man across the street play his accordion. It felt like it was out of a movie. We even became great friends with the restaurant owners down our busy street. Lisette lived very close by and was always just a quick text or phone call away. She was always there when we needed her and actually lost sleep worrying about how we were doing.

The Spanish classes were an absolute blast! I learned more Spanish in those 2 weeks than I had learned in my 3 college semesters and 3 high school semesters of Spanish. It was also nice not feeling pressured to know everything. All of us were at different levels of Spanish and some had never taken Spanish before in their lives. The classes were small so we got close with our classmates, and the teachers kept the classes enthusiastic and fun with Youtube videos, music, games that took up the entire school, and other methods I had never seen in a classroom before.

During my internship, I learned so much about marketing and finances, which was a goal of mine. Lisette pulled all the stops to get each of us our dream internships. My boss and mentor became some of my great friends, and we still keep up with each other, almost 2 years later. They trusted me, and they were eager to help me learn how a business truly works. I still miss my coworkers and many of our customers that I became close with during my time there.

Outside of class and work, we always had something fun to do. If we were tired, we could always go home to nap or relax, but there was so much to see and do around Madrid that not much sleep happened! There was never a boring moment. We chose to travel almost every weekend to different places because once over there, traveling is fairly inexpensive. We always had the option to stay or go. We even had a planned trip that we had already paid for with our original fee to Sevilla, Spain (Google it, it's gorgeous!), where we had delicious food and watched the sunset on the rooftop while having a glass of wine together. This was one of my favorite parts of the trip because we all got to be together for the whole weekend to bond, and we had a blast!

During the last week, we got the chance to hear from some great speakers who were excited to mentor us and guide us to learn which direction we want to take in life. We discussed our strengths and weaknesses, the types of careers that each of us are passionate about, how to interview, how to dress in professional situations, etc. This part of the trip was especially helpful for me. Before this, I had never necessarily felt comfortable in a professional setting, but these discussions helped me kick my nerves to the curb! I feel that a lot of us are lost in our 20s and do not know exactly what we want to do, and these activities helped me sort out what I am good at, and what job I will enjoy after school. I still have all of my notes from this last portion of the trip because they are still useful to me now.

There are so many amazing things we experienced on this trip and it would be impossible to name them all. Around every corner was a new adventure. There were so many beautiful sites all around us, and we got to make so many valuable relationships that I will treasure forever. My PINC girls will always hold a special place in my heart!

P.S.- Did I mention rebajas?! This is about a month-long period of time in Spain where everything is on sale, up to 80% off! We shopped 'til we dropped.

Summer in Madrid

Who wouldn't want to spend a summer in Madrid learning from and growing with some of the most amazing people you will meet? PINC was a phenomenal experience, giving me the opportunity to build confidence and experience while also taking in a new and beautiful culture. Lisette, the Founder and CEO, was and is continually always there to support and guide. The flexibility of the program allowed me to be independent and travel on weekends. Overall, I highly recommend.

Life gets better after PINC

People say that high school is supposed to be the hardest point of your developmental life and in college it gets better. I say that "they" are wrong. Life didn't get better until I did the PINC program. I'll keep this to my top three things I gained from the program.

1) I got confidence. I dropped myself (though with a floaty) into Madrid, Spain with really rusty Spanish and thrived. I excelled at an internship where English was NOT the first language and learned HTML5 on the job. I traveled to 3 different countries by myself, one of which I didn't speak the native language, and lived to brag about it. Regardless of what it is you will do, you will build yourself up.

2) I got a taste of what it's like to live on my own. When you're at school, you live with friends. I moved to a new country with girls I had never met before for two months. I had to cook. I had to shop. I became independent, but at the same time built a whole new support system with my new roommates.

3) Spanish. The way I have always put it is "Spanish doesn't like me and I don't like Spanish"; it was consistently my lowest grade for 8 years. At the end, I was having full conversations and acting as a translator. I'm not promising miracles, but if you try, you will get results.

Seriously people, this program is great. And it's owner is invested in seeing you succeed. I look forward to hearing more stories from future PINC graduates!

A fantastic experience

There are so many wonderful things I can say about the PINC Internship. Firstly, the program's director, Lisette, is one of the most personable and friendly women you could ever hope to meet. From my initial inquiry, to my arrival in Madrid and even to this day, she has been there as a plentiful resource and a positive influence. Lisette works with you to help find the internship that would be the best fit for you, not only in terms of the work you are doing, but also in terms of your office environment and the people that you are surrounded by.

This program facilitates immersion into Spanish culture, and in doing so, allows the young women who take part to build their own journey. In addition to your internship, you will have access to workshops, networking events, and a mentorship program. All of these are invaluable assets to young women who want to be on top of personal and professional development. Do not pass up this wonderful opportunity; you will have the best time of your life!

Exactly what I needed

The PINC Immersion program showed me how much there is out there. The program really makes an effort to expose us to Madrid and lifestyles in different places. I made so many new friends and learned so much about myself. Travel does wonderful things and it's better wits company. If you thought you'd seen it all, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Internship for the summer

Overall, I had an amazing experience with this program. The placement was in an amazing language school that helped enhance my Spanish and also helped me understand and establish a base in Madrid that I can use for the rest of my life. I learned so much about myself and an amazing country in such a short amount of time. I was helped from beginning to the end of the program and never felt alone. I would fully recommend the program to anybody! It is totally worth the dive to go in head first, even if you don't know any Spanish.